lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
mac43rn
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car DS - Clicking on reverse with sparks

I have a 2002 Club Car DS 48V. This issue has been going on for awhile now, and it has me a bit perplexed. When I put in reverse, the reverse alarm will signal but it will not always go in reverse. When the cart will not go in reverse, you can wiggle the forward/reverse lever and it will eventually go. There is an obvious short and the other night my wife said she could actually see sparks coming from the bottom rear of the cart.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mac
mac43rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
delagem
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car DS - Clicking on reverse with sparks

Is this a Series cart, or a Sepex? If it's a series, it sounds like your Forward/Reverse switch needs attention.

You can disassemble it, if you're careful, and clean up the copper contacts. You've likely got some corrosion preventing good contact.

Mine has this exact same issue, only it's brand new, and a cheap Chinese copy of the real Nivel switch. The problem with mine isn't the copper, but the plastic in the housing. A poor job of pouring the plastic makes finding reverse finicky.
delagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
mac43rn
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the response. I forgot to add, I have a high speed motor and controller installed. After reading a bit more on the topic it looks like I may have been lucky to get as far as I have with the standard forward and reverse switch. I may try to clean it up or look for an aftermarket replacement.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
mac43rn
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by delagem View Post
Is this a Series cart, or a Sepex? If it's a series, it sounds like your Forward/Reverse switch needs attention.

You can disassemble it, if you're careful, and clean up the copper contacts. You've likely got some corrosion preventing good contact.

Mine has this exact same issue, only it's brand new, and a cheap Chinese copy of the real Nivel switch. The problem with mine isn't the copper, but the plastic in the housing. A poor job of pouring the plastic makes finding reverse finicky.
Also, it is a Series cart.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

A reversing contactor is a major step up from the sliding contacts style F&R switch. Its not a direct drop-in replacement, but worth the effort imo.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
Dav1774
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

have you checked for loose wires?
Dav1774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car