lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
TheWiltz
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Egg Shaped Tires or Driving Down a Washboard...that's what it feels like...Why?

You need to hook up a volt meter and see if you see surges on it.

I know nothing about regen, but could it be turning on and off?
TheWiltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #12
Speedvision
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Egg Shaped Tires or Driving Down a Washboard...that's what it feels like...Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiltz View Post
You need to hook up a volt meter and see if you see surges on it.

I know nothing about regen, but could it be turning on and off?
Currently regen is off, setting 3, so I can't believe that's the issue.

Yep, DMM is on the list, waiting for the father-in-law to bring over his Fluke. Seems like the most logical place to start, was just hoping someone would say "yep, I had that happen too and here's what fixed it"... Bit optimistic, but it's worth a try. Worst case, I be the guy to help someone else out when the same symptoms are posted in the future. That's the benefit of all our accumulated knowledge.
Speedvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #13
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

There's a little weight stuck to the armature of these motors. It looks like a big blob of JB weld usually. If that weight slings off it'll cause the motor to vibrate and cause the symptom you're having. I've seen it often but it's usually with series cars that have no motor braking to keep them from running high enough RPMs to sling the weight, but it's definitely worth checking out.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #14
rich6111
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thumbs up Re: Egg Shaped Tires or Driving Down a Washboard...that's what it feels like...Why?

Take off the back cover and watch the motor and see if it is jerking back and forth while you drive it,if it is it is most likely electrically.
rich6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:02 AM   #15
Speedvision
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
There's a little weight stuck to the armature of these motors. It looks like a big blob of JB weld usually. If that weight slings off it'll cause the motor to vibrate and cause the symptom you're having. I've seen it often but it's usually with series cars that have no motor braking to keep them from running high enough RPMs to sling the weight, but it's definitely worth checking out.

Thanks TDZ71, we all appreciate your experience and contributions! I'll check that out, but the "vibration" feels more like a bent axle (verified not bent) than a hiigh freq vibe. I can't udate the first post where I should have said 2Hz, NOT 120 Hz.

Is there anything in the IQ system that could cause a pulse of current to the motor vs smooth current delivery? Or is there something in the rear drive unit that could cause a pulse feeling while driving at higher speeds...cuz I can hear and feel the pulse, keeping in mind that it "feels" like a bent axle.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #16
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

It sure sounds like a bent front spindle or rear axle to me.
basshawk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #17
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Check your front end components to make sure nothing is bent. Also make sure it's aligned to 1/8" Toe-In. Improper toe can make the car feel like it's hopping.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #18
Speedvision
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Check your front end components to make sure nothing is bent. Also make sure it's aligned to 1/8" Toe-In. Improper toe can make the car feel like it's hopping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshawk84 View Post
It sure sounds like a bent front spindle or rear axle to me.
Hmmmm, new Allsports A-arm suspension and new 4 leaf rear springs installed last weekend, so no bent front suspension, however, we did set the toe to ZERO...

HOPPING is a REAL GOOD word for what I feel.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #19
ClubCarDude
Gone Wild

Club Car

after a 6" lift and HD springs front and rear i too have a hopping or bouncing going on with my cart. 2003 IQ DS. I cant stand it. I bought too bought new wheels and tires (was a good excuse) it has helped some but for the most part my symptoms are exactly like ur describing. This weekend I am going to check for surges, watch the motor, tow it with something etc. I have not checked my axles or fron hubs yet. I fixed alignment so it's not that.
ClubCarDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #20
Speedvision
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubCarDude View Post
after a 6" lift and HD springs front and rear i too have a hopping or bouncing going on with my cart. 2003 IQ DS. I cant stand it. I bought too bought new wheels and tires (was a good excuse) it has helped some but for the most part my symptoms are exactly like ur describing. This weekend I am going to check for surges, watch the motor, tow it with something etc. I have not checked my axles or fron hubs yet. I fixed alignment so it's not that.
Bummer. I high hopes for the alignment being the culprit but your experience puts a shadow on that. Unfortunately I can't tinker for a few weeks since the cart is up north.

Does your bouncing happen at full throttle or various speeds? I'll have to take hard look, but my bouncing seems to be most prevalent when the cart is at its max governed speed. This is why I think its electronics related.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car