lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
Xaugievike
Not Yet Wild

Default Noob Buyers Advice?

Evening all - I registered a few days ago and I've tried to be a good-little noob and read as many old posts and do as many searches as possible. But alas, I'm here asking the stupid new-guy questions - my apologies.

I've been sort of leisurely hunting for a golf cart to use on our family camping outings (and a at a few race tracks as the need/ability arises). The campground thing sort of pins me to an electric cart - which is fine....I just know squat about these things and wires/solenoids/etc sort of make my head spin....if it was a gasser I'd be in good shape (I race go karts and my good buddy is a small engine mechanic...i've got those motors mostly covered!)

On Saturday I'm going to seriously check out what may be the cart I'm going to purchase. It's a 96 club car, 48v. all indications are that it's been babied. Privately owned, etc. Batteries are a year and a half old (receipts verify that), wintered indoors.

So my question - is there any sort of rookie buying guide, test drive advice, etc posted here? I've asked questions on other (non-golf cart) forums and basically been told that if it drives well (but to try and drive for more than 100 yards), and stops that its basically OK..and to of course give it a look-over for obvious signs of damage/abuse. I suspect it's a bit more complicated than that. Just wondering if someone can point me to some more sage advice.

Appreciate any guidance you veterans may have. Be gentle on this my first post :-)

Cheers guys
Xaugievike is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
Plasterface
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Noob Buyers Advice?

How much are you paying, that is probably more inportant, batteries alone probably worth at least $500, since they are pretty new.

I have bought a totally renovated cart, with used batteries, from a dealer for $3500 but that was a year 2008.

I would think if you are buying around $1500-2000 range that would be ok.
Plasterface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:04 AM   #3
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . . my 2006 CC DS cost me $1500 from a dealer . . it was a lease turn in (they had 150 of them) with 1 year old batteries . . . there are good deals available if you are not in a hurry . . . personally, I would recommend purchasing an IQ version, either a Precedent or DS . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

where are you located? i have a 97 in almost showroom shape, 1 year old trojen 875,s new 400 amp alltrax 4844 program controller, HD solenoid and F&R................all new 4 gage preium cables brand new curtis pb-6 pot , lift tires, roof and W/S scotty,s digital battery meter...............there is nothing cheap on this cart and matter of fact even though batteries are 1 year old they arn,t even broke in yet.......................yes charger also and newer updated OBC......................i,d like 4 grand but i,ll deal a bit........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
rinman
Gone Wild

Club Car

First the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.......

Everybody has a preference, but I think overall you will want a 48 volt cart. I have to agree with Steve....I prefer the IQ Precedent or DS as well. Not saying the others are not suitable....just my preference. I bought my 2004 Precedent a year ago with older batteries (2006 Trojans). I paid $1600 here in Indiana. I have been able to keep the batteries in good shape with regular maintenance, but knew up front I would be replacing them in a couple of years.

Where are you located? I always check Craigslist and you can usually find good deals. There are several used cart places around me and sometimes you can pick up a good deal on ones that were on a golf course for a few years.

Batteries are a key.....overall the best ones are going to be Trojans and US Battery......others will likely not last as long.

Good luck!
rinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

FYI a 1990s 48v CC would not be my first choice.... The only thing as slow as a 95-96 48v CC I have ever owned was a 1985 36v Ezgo.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
FYI a 1990s 48v CC would not be my first choice.... The only thing as slow as a 95-96 48v CC I have ever owned was a 1985 36v Ezgo.
AHHH but not mine...................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car