lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
Eric_H_E
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default melted post

Ok it finally happend. We melted a post on out TXT. Trogen T105 batteries. I have looked the site over and found the repair by drilling and tapping theterminal. My quesiton is, since the original stud still seems firm in the post, and i just put a nut under the wire terminal and above. Will the stud carry the current well enough that the wire does not have to be in contact with the lead terminal? What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks Eric
Eric_H_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-04-2012, 03:53 AM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: melted post

If that stud is loose at all its going to melt. If you just melted the outer portion and the stud is still firmly in place it should work.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If the stud is still firmly embedded in the lead, I suspect the cable end was the original problem.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
Eric_H_E
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

i think the cable end was the problem, i replaced it and used 2 nuts and put it back together. the stud still seemed good and tight in the post, it did not wiggle when i grabbed it. also put a new end on the chargeing wire, it had gotten hot also. Will keep a good eye on them for a while and see what happens.

Thanks for the imput
Eric_H_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If I understand correctly what you did, it will fail quickly! The original stud is just a bolt that had the lead post poured around it. It must have a tension pulling on the imbedded bolt head to keep it tight in the post. The bolt ( stud ) is not meant to carry the current. The contact between the cables terminal and the post on the battery is supposed to carry the current. From what I understand in your post, the bolt is still in the post. Clean that post to bright metal, along with the cable terminal and reinstall with the terminal in contact with the battery post and the nut on top. Also inspect the cable terminal very closely. It may now be loose on the cable due to overheating. If any doubt, replace the terminal end or the entire cable, if necessary!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

We had one melt a week or so ago and the stud was loose. I started looking at it and the base the post was in is roughly the same size as a car battery post. Put one of those adapters on that converts a round to a stud and she is rolling. Surface area on the connections seem to be as much as it was before I started so we will see...
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
We had one melt a week or so ago and the stud was loose. I started looking at it and the base the post was in is roughly the same size as a car battery post. Put one of those adapters on that converts a round to a stud and she is rolling. Surface area on the connections seem to be as much as it was before I started so we will see...
You lucked out! Some batteries don't have that tapered post. Glad it worked out for you!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

This was below the stud. Only like 1/4 in tall but it was worth a shot. Figured it was as least as much surface area as the top so..... what the hay.. we will see. Worst case, it melts again and I take it to get it fixed.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO