lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
birdleg1981
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default 2001 marathon? pds

i have a i believe a marathon? but it is a PDS drive. the issue is when ya drive it goes fine until go pedal is past 3/4 ways and then it shuts down until pedal brought back up and reapplied to 3/4 again. runs great until u pass that 3/4 mark. its a 36 volt cart. voltage readings while driving drop to 34 initially then pick back up to 36 ish. anyone have a clue why runs great till 3/4 to full throttle? maybe the inductive throttle thingy? i dunno.. thanks in advance
birdleg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2001 marathon? pds

Hi Bird. This is a common thing with stock controller carts. If you could post your carts model number we could help point you at some manuals and such. The stickies at the top of the forums have instructions how to locate these numbers.

Anyhow, Back to your throttle issue. If your carts throttle input is a 0 - 5K ohms and the throttle is passing past the 5k ohm mark at 3/4ish pedal travel the controller automatically shuts down until the input falls back within acceptable parameters.

If you have a VOM you can measure the affect your pedal is having. Remove the white and blue wires off of your controller and connect your VOM leads to the wires. Connect them in any order and watch your meter as you steadily and slowly push on your pedal.

Hope that help. Let us know if you get more info or need more info.
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Somebody might have put a Marathon body on a TXT cart. Need pictures.

If it is a PDS controller, it has an ITS throttle and to check it:
Run/Tow = Run
Key = ON
F/R = F or R

DVM negative test lead attached to Main negative post on battery pack.
DVM positive test lead attached to J4 Pin-4 (White wire) with J4 plug plugged in.
Should read 15.0V +/- 1.0V
If not, the controller might be bad.
Is so, move DVM positive test lead to J4 Pin-3 (Black wire) and press throttle pedal until solenoid clicks.
Should read 1.0V +/- 0.3V
Then press throttle pedal slowly to floor.
Voltage in Pin-3 should smoothly increase ti 2.9V +/- 0.4V
If the voltages are not right in Pin-3, either the ITS coil is bad or the ITS plunger is not adjusted properly.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
birdleg1981
Getting Wild
Club Car

ok, something weird is going on. i took ITS cover off and switch was cracked. i replaced with a jumper with wheels jacked up of course. now i find the dang solenoid will engage when i wiggle some wires under the tow switch cover and cart goes at a low speed and when i push go pedal is speeds up. only thing i did was put a fuse jumper in at the microswitch. WTF did i do. My mind has exploded!!!!
Old 10-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
birdleg1981
Getting Wild
Club Car

Cpl pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20121006_111537.jpg (120.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20121006_111518.jpg (169.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdleg1981 View Post
ok, something weird is going on. i took ITS cover off and switch was cracked. i replaced with a jumper with wheels jacked up of course. now i find the dang solenoid will engage when i wiggle some wires under the tow switch cover and cart goes at a low speed and when i push go pedal is speeds up. only thing i did was put a fuse jumper in at the microswitch. WTF did i do. My mind has exploded!!!!
That looks like a TXT body. It definitely not a Marathon or a Medalist body.
Plug your serial number into this website and it'll tell you what it was when it rolled off the factory floor.
http://www.shopezgo.com/customer-ser...ialNumber.html

With the Pedal switch jumpered, the solenoid should stay activated when the Run/Tow is in Run, Keyswitch is ON, F/R is in either F or R. and charger isn't plugged into cart.

I doubt the cart would move if it was on the ground, but with the wheels off the ground, they might turn. Normally, the pedal microswitch prevents the solenoid from closing until pedal is pushed.

What bothers me is that the solenoid clicks when some wires are wiggled.
Which wire activates solenoid when wiggled?

Here is a schematic, and you can down load Owner, Service and Parts manuals from the stickies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS.JPG (64.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
birdleg1981
Getting Wild
Club Car

Johnnie b, i put the cart on on ground and it tried to take off. Ill check it out more tomorrow
Old 10-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
birdleg1981
Getting Wild
Club Car

update. i got the cart fixed and forgot to update it here. i wound up being the its coil along with the switch. now the whole wiggling wires was i found the lock for one of the connectors on controller was broke. so it was in there loose. cart works fine now and no complaints so far. also its a TXT cart. i have no clue why i even posted marathon, those are the older square ones i believe. i was prolly just tired as i work on this stuff when my daily job is done. thanks for all the info...... Bird
Old 10-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Glad to hear you got it fixed.
Thanks for the feedback.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO