lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
Montytm26
Not Yet Wild

Default 2 gauge cable question

Hey guys. First real post on the forum. We have a 2008 TXT. I'm assuming a PDS since the F/R switch is on the dash. I have access to both 2 and 4 gauge cable And lugs. Factory motor and controller as far as I know. Do I need to replace cable going to switch? Or just battery cables and motor leads? Thanks again if this has already been answered.
Montytm26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
Montytm26
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2 gauge cable question

Forgot my other question. Will I see any gains from just bigger cables? I know eventually, I might upgrade controller and motor. Just curious if it would be worth it now.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

There are 10 high current cables on a PDS cart.
Five in the battery pack and five connecting solenoid, controller and armature windings together.
The two small gauge cables from controller to motor's Field windings only carry about 1/10 the Amps the cables to the Armature carry, so they don't need to be replaced unless they are in bad condition.
The F/R switch is a low current control and the wires seldom if ever need to be replaced.

Unless your cables are in really bad condition electrically, you won't get a top speed increase because the PDS controller limits motor RPM.

There were 6Ga cables connecting my batteries together and if your cart is the same, you'll probably notice slightly better acceleration and low end torque when up go to heavier gauge cables.

The original tires I had were 17.4" tall and I got 18.2MPH (Clocked) in Freedom mode.
I put on a set of tires that are 18.4" tall and I get 19.5MPH (GPS) in Freedom mode and 15MPH in Mild Hill mode.

2Ga cable has 63% less resistance than 4Ga and the more resistance in the cables, the less electrical energy is delivered to the motor.

4Ga is said to be adequate for controller up to and including 400A
I'm an efficiency nut, so I went with 2Ga cables (all 10) rather than 4Ga.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Montytm26
Not Yet Wild

JohnnieB - Thanks for the response! I think I might go ahead and make a set just to be ready in case we upgrade in the future. The cart has a lift and rims on it. Is the "freedom chip" wiring something I could do myself? Seems like I remember that it's just some kind of jumper? Thanks again
Old 10-18-2012, 05:47 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montytm26 View Post
1. I think I might go ahead and make a set just to be ready in case we upgrade in the future.
2. The cart has a lift and rims on it.
3. Is the "freedom chip" wiring something I could do myself? Seems like I remember that it's just some kind of jumper?
1. Go ahead and put them on. My cables looked good to my experienced eyes, but I got a noticeable boost in performance.
2. Lift and rims are cosmetic. Tire height is what alters speed and torque.
3. The "Chips" are 5 pin Molex plugs with jumper wires between various pins.
You can probably track down the bits and pieces, but Freedom chips can be purchased for under $10, so it is hardly worth the effort.
Here is a drawing of the four chips and a list of the speed and regen levels for the four modes.

By adding switches to the two jumper wires on a Freedom chip, all four mode are available.
I only use Freedom and Mild Hill modes, so I only used one switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS J2 mode plugs.jpg (130.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PDS Mode speed-regen level.JPG (18.5 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO