lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
mtpolarbear
Polar Bear wild to you...

E-Z-GO

Default New Rebuild from the Ground Up!!

Well here we go! My son and I are ready to start the build of our '84 Marathon starting tomorrow. I am converting from gas to electric, I have a 36 volt motor and a differential but I am considering going to 48 volt instead. I have plenty to do until that decision needs to be made. Any advice or help you guys and gals have will be greatly appreciated! I'm new to the cart world so I foresee quite a few questions. I will keep pictures posted as I progress. Not sure how long it will take as funds are limited so will be saving and spending as we go. Here are the before pics and away we go!!

BTW my name is Patrick and sons name is Zack since I think we'll get to each other well.2012-11-02_16-20-18_541.jpg

2012-10-16_16-32-57_937.jpg

2012-10-16_16-33-10_751.jpg

2012-11-02_16-18-15_616.jpg

2012-10-16_16-32-42_517.jpg
mtpolarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: New Rebuild from the Ground Up!!

If you think you may go 48 volts, now's a good time to start planning on putting all eight 6 volt batteries under the seat.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
mtpolarbear

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
If you think you may go 48 volts, now's a good time to start planning on putting all eight 6 volt batteries under the seat.
I was thinking about that. Which is better, 6-8 volts or 8-6 volts? Can get confusing there.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

8-6's are better, but where to put them is another topic. Yurtle has fit 8 batteries under the seat, get up with him. I'm hoping he'll chime in with some under seat pics.
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
mtpolarbear

E-Z-GO

Yurtle if you have pics that would be great!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:19 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

ScottyB did it before me. Here's my post.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-question.html
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:22 AM   #7
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Cool Beans Pat and Zack! I'm glad your underway. I do have a few questions. Are you going to weld all this stuff up yourself? And, Are you going to go with an ITS throttle or something of that nature vs. a solid rod link from your pedal?

Like Boke suggested, 8-6v is better and others have packed the batteries under the seat. Offtwice also did it too. My biggest reason for asking how you are going to throttle your cart is because I want to go with 8-6v batteries as well but all my linkage is in the way for me to do that.

Zack will be joyed once you guys wash and rattle can the motor and dif.

Good luck Pat

Shon
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:27 AM   #8
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

This is Yurtles thread Start around post #29ish.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:08 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I agree that 8 x 6V would be best, but getting all eight batteries to fit under the seat of a Marathon whose motor is mounted in front of the differential instead of on top of it, is going to be a real challenge. (Take another look at the picture of the Differential/Motor that is going to be used and you will see what I mean.)

However, six under the seat and two in the bagwell would work.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #10
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I agree that 8 x 6V would be best, but getting all eight batteries to fit under the seat of a Marathon whose motor is mounted in front of the differential instead of on top of it, is going to be a real challenge. (Take another look at the picture of the Differential/Motor that is going to be used and you will see what I mean.)

However, six under the seat and two in the bagwell would work.
Interesting point J. The motor does point towards the front. He still might be able to do it seeing that he has no battery rack but it might be very tight.

Pat you will want to pattern your rear end out before you decide on batteries. Maybe you can move things around? It might be tight and you may have to cut?

Or he could make all the brake cables longer and flip the diff 180 degrees? That would go into the bagwell space though. Just another thought. Oh and of course the cable wiring would have to swap the forward and reverse so it went the right direction but that is just wires.

Would doing that 180 swap have a detrimental effect on the rear springs in how they work? I wouldn't think so, but it would be moving a huge moment arm weight from the front of the springs to the rear side of the springs.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO