lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
Leftturn
Not Yet Wild

Default power wise charger

My charger has been working find, and the first of the week i plugged it in and nothing. Took it to a shop and the guy said that the diode was bad. If in fact that is the problem what caused it to go out( do not want to replace and have it blow again).
Leftturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: power wise charger

depending on year it could just be old .. thet go bad sometimes
here is a kit i got last year for friends $24.95
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EZGO-Powerwi...item3cc3de68a4
Old 04-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
Leftturn
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, will replace and give it a try.
Leftturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
TNTman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Okay, the new golf cart guy is stumped. I had a customer bring in her cart saying the charger just quit working. I came to the forum, did searches, and read all the strings regarding these powerwise chargers. Her batteries were new last year, so I broke the packs down to 3 double battery packs, making them 12 volts each. I used standard 12 volt chargers, and charged each of the 3 packs to get them up to snuff as far as charge is concerned. I hooked the charger back up, and it would not come on. I told the customer about the 3 piece repair kit, she said order it, so I did and installed the breaker and two diodes into the charger when it arrived. Meanwhile she came and rode the cart around, since it was fully charged, for a day or so. She brought the cart back, I hooked up the charger again, nothing. I separated the batteries, and charged them manually again, to bring the voltage back up in case there was not enough to meet the voltage minimum for the charger to come on. Still nothing from the charger. I cleaned all the connections, including the radsock, inside and out. I checked the voltage coming into the carts charger receptacle, and got 35.8 volts. Charger still is not coming on, or even clicking when I plug it in, like the other strings said it should do, as long as the AC plug is not connected to power. I saw several other potential culprits in the strings, but is there a most likely culprit here, since I don't want to drive the customers bill sky high, or loose my @$$ working on the problem for free, to keep the customer as happy as possible?? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you

Robin
TNTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
crash test dummy

good power wise repair video
Old 06-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

I am not suprised that it didn't come on, seeing as the pack voltage is below 50%
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The troubleshooting tree in the attached manual isn't very good, but it is better than the video.

That guy needs a few lessons in troubleshooting.

-----------
TNT, there are two separate circuits in the PW charger. AC power control and the battery charging circuit.

The charger you are working on isn't turning on, so it is an AC power control issue.
The parts you replaced were in the battery charging circuit.

Getting the relay on the control board to click is the first step.
The cart's battery pack is what closes the relay initially and the pack voltage must be above about 30V for that to happen.
You have 35.8V, so that should be high enough.

The charger senses the cart's battery pack via the auxiliary contact in the charge plug.
The Aux contact touches the outside of the negative radsok in the cart's charge receptacle.
Clean the Aux contact and the outside of the negative radsok.
Also, you may want to bend the Aux contact to increase spring pressure.
Slowly wiggle the charge plug up and down and side to side, and the relay may click. (There is a time delay, so moving it quick my not work)

Measure continuity from Aux contact to the red wire in the output cable inside charger.

The other side of the cart battery is sense off the heatsink inside the charger.

So you can measure what the charger's control board is seeing by measuring the voltage between the heatsink and the red wire in the output cable.
If it is the same as the battery pack voltage and above 30V, the control board is probably bad.

Once you get the relay to click (Charger does not have to be plugged into AC power for relay to click), the charger will probably work okay.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PW Charger manual.pdf (3.02 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
TNTman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info Johnnie B, I will try all of this Friday. We are closed on Thursday's, and it will just have to wait until then, unfortunately.
TNTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
crash test dummy

closed on THURSDAY !?!? THATS JUST NOT RIGHT !!!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

its GREAT having a day off during everyone elses work week.....I have for the last 14 years....always off on Friday's.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO