lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
fall flight
Not Yet Wild

Default 1997 EZGO TXT series.... Solenoid clicks only

Guys hope you can help me out with this cart... No go with solenoid click only. Here is what I have replaced with new components

HD Solenoid
ALLTRAXX Controller NPX4844EZ
Pedal Microswitch
All 4G cables...
FNR replaced 4 months ago.

Battery pack solid at 38.2. Tested everything but ITS and motor... bypassed the reed switch. At solenoid click I get 4 blinking green lights on the controller which means the controller detect ITS. Do you think the motor is the issue? Thanks for your help.
fall flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
apundtTX
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1997 EZGO TXT series.... Solenoid clicks only

I had this happen to me last week when working on my FNR switch.
Try tightening the center bolt on the back side of the FNR where everything
rotates on 5/8 or 9/16 nut I believe
Maybe the switch contacts are not pressing together enough.
Does it still beep at you in reverse?
apundtTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
fall flight
Not Yet Wild

yes it beeps when I put it in reverse.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
fall flight
Not Yet Wild

new findings ...I did the troubleshooting flowchart in the Ezgo Service Manual for 2000 and up(non PDS) off the forum sticky. Now my cart is 97 series (F1297) fleet

key on ..direction selector F ...pedal fully depressed

voltage between the controller B+ & Controller M- 38.2V

key on ..direction selector F

voltage between Battery B- and M-(controller) 18.9?
voltage between Battery B- and FNR A 36.9
voltage between Battery B- and FNR B 36.9
voltage between Battery B- and Motor S2 36.9
voltage between Battery B- and Motor S1 36.9
voltage between Battery B- and FNR D 36.9
voltage between Battery B- and FNR C 18.9?

According to the flowchart it states correct wire problem in directional selector(FNR)

I verified the connection at A2 on the motor were C is connected and I am getting 18.9 volts there also.

New Altraxx controller is connected as follows.......per their diagram:
B+ FNR (A) and Battery +
M- Motor A1
B- Solenoid black small terminal and Battery - fuse

FNR is currently connected as follows:

A - B+ (controller)
B- S2 Motor
C- A2 Motor
D - S1 Motor

Now the confusing part the Ezgo Service manual says the FNR should be connected as follows"

A - M-
B - S1 motor
C - A2 motor
D - S2 motor

When I replaced the cables from the controller to the FNR and from the FNR to the motor, I did them 1 at at a time so I would not make a mistake. Is the FNR wired wrong
Old 06-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
fall flight
Not Yet Wild

Scotty ...JohnnieB,,,sure could use some help...thanks
Old 06-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Is the 18.9V between B- and M- when the pedal is up, when pedal is only pushed until solenoid clicks, or when the pedal is all the way down?

However, regardless of the pedal position, you do have 18.9V, so you have a bad connection between FNR-C and either FNR-B or FNR-D. (C shorts to either B or D depending on whether lever is in F or R and you've got 36.9V on B & D while you only have 18.9 on C.)

The FNR can be wired either way. I'd go with the way Alltrax shows on their schematic since that is the one to be used for troubleshooting your cart in the future.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #7
Ky81538
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall flight View Post
Guys hope you can help me out with this cart... No go with solenoid click only. Here is what I have replaced with new components

HD Solenoid
ALLTRAXX Controller NPX4844EZ
Pedal Microswitch
All 4G cables...
FNR replaced 4 months ago.

Battery pack solid at 38.2. Tested everything but ITS and motor... bypassed the reed switch. At solenoid click I get 4 blinking green lights on the controller which means the controller detect ITS. Do you think the motor is the issue? Thanks for your help.
I have the same chopper as you. If you want to test the motor to be sure, Scotty B gives a good diagram in one of my past threads. Use only 12 V and put it up on jack stands to be safe.
Here is the thread:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ller-shot.html
Ky81538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:39 AM   #8
fall flight
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Is the 18.9V between B- and M- when the pedal is up, when pedal is only pushed until solenoid clicks, or when the pedal is all the way down?

However, regardless of the pedal position, you do have 18.9V, so you have a bad connection between FNR-C and either FNR-B or FNR-D. (C shorts to either B or D depending on whether lever is in F or R and you've got 36.9V on B & D while you only have 18.9 on C.)

The FNR can be wired either way. I'd go with the way Alltrax shows on their schematic since that is the one to be used for troubleshooting your cart in the future.
Thanks JohnnieB! the 18.9V was with the pedal up per the service manual. How do you test the connections on a FNR? the studs/bolts are tight and the cables are brand new...Should I replace it? checked the connections at the bolts nothing looks burned?
Old 06-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall flight View Post
Thanks JohnnieB! the 18.9V was with the pedal up per the service manual. How do you test the connections on a FNR? the studs/bolts are tight and the cables are brand new...Should I replace it? checked the connections at the bolts nothing looks burned?
Okay, you got 18.9V at Step 37 of the troubleshooting tree. That failed the test (Should have been Pack voltage less 0.5V to 2.5V), so you would have been directed to Step 38 and then to other half dozen or so steps and eventually found the missing voltage.

Attached is a drawing Scottyb put together that shows how to test the F/R switch with an Ohmmeter

Note: You have to remove the cables to test the F/R switch or you blow up your Ohmmeter.

---------
If it has never been replaced, the F/R switch has seen 16 years of use and you are now using a 400A controller, so upgrading to a heavy-duty F/R switch wouldn't be a bad idea. http://www.cartsunlimited.net/F_R_Switch_Upgrades.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo F&R cam test.jpg (57.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
fall flight
Not Yet Wild

thanks JohnnieB...I found the missing voltage at step 37 and proceeded all the way to step 43 were I stopped at FNR C...which is were 18.9V was detected. according to the service manual it stated "correct wire in direction selector". The FNR is new( 4 months) but its not a HD...should I order one of Scotty's HD cams or do I need to order a whole new FNR? One other question.. once I do the continuity test and find the problem....what do I do next...,can I replace a part or do I need to replace the FNR completely. Again thanks for your help...need this cart back running bad..its main use is for training gun dogs in the field..all the walking and carrying equipment is killing this old dude...lol

voltage between Battery B- and M-(controller) 18.9V (Step 37)
voltage between Battery B- and FNR A 36.9
voltage between Battery B- and FNR B 36.9
voltage between Battery B- and FNR D 36.9
voltage between Battery B- and FNR C 18.9V (Step 43) ...this were I stopped
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO