lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
meyerske
Not Yet Wild

Red face Best Charger for a 1995 Club Car DS?

Hi all,

This is my first cart and I've got a 1995 Club Car DS. The charger that came with it is a PowerDrive 2. The PowerDrive 2 doesn't seem to float the charge. It charges the batteries, then shuts off (I understand it will come to life and start charging again every 14 days or so).

Since I will unfortunately have the cart unused in an unheated garage for up to three weeks at a time in cold weather this winter, should I buy a float charger or will the PowerDrive 2 keep the batteries from freezing, etc?

Thanks.
meyerske is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Best Charger for a 1995 Club Car DS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerske View Post
Hi all,

This is my first cart and I've got a 1995 Club Car DS. The charger that came with it is a PowerDrive 2. The PowerDrive 2 doesn't seem to float the charge. It charges the batteries, then shuts off (I understand it will come to life and start charging again every 14 days or so).

Since I will unfortunately have the cart unused in an unheated garage for up to three weeks at a time in cold weather this winter, should I buy a float charger or will the PowerDrive 2 keep the batteries from freezing, etc?

Thanks.
All PowerDrive chargers are automatic chargers that will check the pack every 2 weeks and recharge as needed. The charger that would have came with your cart originally would have been a PD1, but from what I have seen, all PD chargers work on all Club Car 48v carts.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:00 AM   #3
meyerske
Not Yet Wild

How about a float charger?
Old 07-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

I have a 96 Regen CC with Powerdrive (not Powerdrive II) charger. It is stored outside in winter under a covered deck in Canada, but under a heavy vinyl cart cover, also. Just to be safe (because I've never seen the charger start on its own - its relatively out of sight) I disconnect the charger, wait 5 minutes, and plug it in again for a manual recharge about once a month in winter. It may be self charging, too...I've just never seen it.

The batteries have never frozen, and temperatures have sometimes hit 20 below. But I have been anal about battery maintenance & care.

My batteries are 11 YEARS OLD and still hold a charge for 4 rounds of golf/wk and the occasional daily two rounds of golf...as occurred just the other day. But almost always, they are recharged after every round.

I thought about getting a float charger too - about 10 years ago, but never did. I don't think its a bad idea, but my batteries have survived remarkably well without! I know 11 years is a long, long time, so I think I'll be buying a new pack in the very near future - but for now, I'm enjoying my batteries on borrowed time!
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesam View Post
I have a 96 Regen CC with Powerdrive (not Powerdrive II) charger. It is stored outside in winter under a covered deck in Canada, but under a heavy vinyl cart cover, also. Just to be safe (because I've never seen the charger start on its own - its relatively out of sight) I disconnect the charger, wait 5 minutes, and plug it in again for a manual recharge about once a month in winter. It may be self charging, too...I've just never seen it.

The batteries have never frozen, and temperatures have sometimes hit 20 below. But I have been anal about battery maintenance & care.

My batteries are 11 YEARS OLD and still hold a charge for 4 rounds of golf/wk and the occasional daily two rounds of golf...as occurred just the other day. But almost always, they are recharged after every round.

I thought about getting a float charger too - about 10 years ago, but never did. I don't think its a bad idea, but my batteries have survived remarkably well without! I know 11 years is a long, long time, so I think I'll be buying a new pack in the very near future - but for now, I'm enjoying my batteries on borrowed time!
OMG, 11 years, wow!
I really don't think a float charger is necessary with the automatic CC 48v chargers.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
meyerske
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, guys! Any more opinions?
Old 07-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Re: "OMG"

Yes, no kidding - 11 years, but remember that a Canadian Golf season is 7 months long, so they really are only 11 years old in "Dog Years". Still, it says a lot about how long batteries can last if they are meticulously cared for and stored in the cold. When I bought the cart in Sept 2002, the batteries were brand spankin' new.

I read a long time ago that cold batteries are way-happier than hot ones. I'm guessing Arizona batteries have a very hard life....first, no dog-years and second....screamin' heat.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

You said that the cart sits for 2 or 3 weeks between uses/charges. If the batteries are clean and dry, they won't discharge enough between uses/charges to cause any worries. You don't need a float charger.

If the cart had to sit for several MONTHS it'd be a different story...
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car