lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Lightbulb 48V 6:1 gears w/36V motor

It was a long day today here in school, Econ and Communications got a little boring for me and I found myself daydreaming about carts.... again. My thoughts went to building a cart someday, and though it is still in the "on paper stage," (I have some parts, but I don't even have a base cart to start with yet, this is just a harebrained idea ) I wanted to pick the brains of all the experts out there.

My thoughts were to install 6:1 gears in the rear end of a 48 volt cart that is running a 36 volt motor. I know from reading that 8:1s on a stock cart yield about the same low end loss as a stock cart running a lift and 22s, not too bad in my opinion for the extra top end. I was thinking that I could do 6:1 gears, however, since I could regain some of the lost low end with the 36 volt motor that I was planning to run anyhow. Am I totally delusional or would the 33% increase in torque make up for a good bit of the torque lost from the 6:1 gear install??

I know, I know, you're all gonna say go with an Alltrax and a D&D for real speed, but I was thinking of going this route since I've been itching to try out a speed gear install, and I just want to see if anyone thinks it's doable, or if anyone has done it.

If it is doable, someday down the road I'll put it all together and let you all in on some other goodies I have planned for it.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: 48V 6:1 gears w/36V motor

one thing to think about
Quote:
The mechanical brakes on a golf car aren't designed to handle braking speeds in excess of 15-18mph
look forward to see whats said here
Old 08-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

The brakes would be one of the other upgrades I would do If the project is actually doable. Doesn't do any good to build one to go fast if you can't get it slowed down!

I will say, however, that the stock brakes on my 26 MPH '93 function perfectly, they stop the cart in close to the same distance and about as well as brakes on a stock cart...
Old 08-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

I run 6:1 gears and 20" tires on my '07 PDS on 48v but I have a big controller and D&D motor etc.... Works really well and the cart will run over 40. I do have 4 wheel discs.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
I run 6:1 gears and 20" tires on my '07 PDS on 48v but I have a big controller and D&D motor etc.... Works really well and the cart will run over 40. I do have 4 wheel discs.
Read your build thread, knew you ran 6:1s and was hoping you'd jump in on this one. In your opinion, do you think the low end would only be affected slightly due to the gears because of the increased torque from the 36 volt motor? I am thinking so, but again, I wanted to see if I was just delusional from the ramblings I was listening to about recessions and macroeconomics.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93yellowclubcar View Post
Read your build thread, knew you ran 6:1s and was hoping you'd jump in on this one. In your opinion, do you think the low end would only be affected slightly due to the gears because of the increased torque from the 36 volt motor? I am thinking so, but again, I wanted to see if I was just delusional from the ramblings I was listening to about recessions and macroeconomics.
The low end performance will be dictated more by the batteries and controller but a good torque motor will help. I did 2 threads when I was experimenting with gears. I'm actually still running the 6:1 gears in my cart and using it to tow the drag cart.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

6:1s and towing with it? That's impressive.

With that in mind, sounds doable to me... I'm planning on some other goodies for it too that would help, thinking of going the booster pack route that I've studied in the Extreme DC section. Thinking of a 36 volt booster pack that I could wire in. I'd use 12V deep cycle marine batteries due to the fact that they would only be a boost, like nitrous, not used all the time. I have a few spare charging ports for 36V CCs, I'd probably end up charging the booster pack off of a 36V charger and cutting the 36V port in next to the 48V factory one to look like it was a factory install.

I'm always coming up with crazy ideas, especially in class, and half of em never end up built, but I'm gonna hold on to this one I think and lay away a little money little by little and someday down the road actually build it.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #8
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Here are those other 2 threads...

8:1 gears

6:1 gears

BTW the cart still has plenty of torque for towing the drag cart. Cheryl actually popped the tow strap last time out because she got a little over anxious and I still had the throttle up rate still set at 15. I've backed it off to 6 now.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

The big controller and D&D sound sweet, I just think it's a little too much for what I'm wanting to build actually. I just want a cart that's fast enough to get me up into the 30s, but still have some punch. (Where the boost pack would come in). The controller and D&D could come down the road some day for me after I build it some day down the road. Cart building and modifying never really ends...
Old 08-28-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93yellowclubcar View Post
The big controller and D&D sound sweet, I just think it's a little too much for what I'm wanting to build actually. I just want a cart that's fast enough to get me up into the 30s, but still have some punch. (Where the boost pack would come in). The controller and D&D could come down the road some day for me after I build it some day down the road. Cart building and modifying never really ends...
So what controller are you proposing to run with this setup? I think a stock controller will be toast before long and will likely not put out enough amps to give you the torque you are wanting. amps = torque voltage = rpm
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car