lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2013, 05:53 AM   #1
brett
Not Yet Wild

Default 48 volt DS charger

I couldn't get the charger to come on. Checked fuse links...OK. Removed cover from charger and had no voltage coming from transformer. Is it shot or have I missed something?
Thanks!
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Default Re: 48 volt DS charger

Unplug the charger from the wall and the cart then plug in the charger to the cart, leave the wall unplugged. Does the relay in the charger close with a "click" If it does not then its possibly batteries. OBC or the charger relay. If it does close and not turn on the charger, its likely the charger . If you can plug the charger into a cart that you know has no problem you can isolate the problem to either your cart or the charger.
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #3
Storm S
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
I couldn't get the charger to come on. Checked fuse links...OK. Removed cover from charger and had no voltage coming from transformer. Is it shot or have I missed something?
Thanks!
What is your current pack voltage? This has a lot to do with triggering the charger.
Storm S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
brett
Not Yet Wild

Pack voltage is 47.9. Charger will not click like it should
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Try charging each battery separately with an automotive charger. Charge each one for 10 to 15min and see if your cart charger won't start. What "Golfdog" said, is the easiest way, but a lot of us don't have access to another cart or charger to do tests!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
Storm S
Gone Wild

Club Car

You can bypass the OBC by jumping the relay in the charger and see if the OBC is bad or possibly the charger relay could be as well. TWO SEPARATE TESTS HERE!!!

To test the OBC.....
Under your seat located on the back of the charge socket is a gray wire. Unplug the two parts of the fuse holder on this wire. Make a jumper or use alligator clips and STILL USING THE FUSE jump this to -48. Charger should kick on in a few seconds.

If the charger still does not turn on it could be the relay in the charger. To test this put the gray wire back the way it was. You will need to remove the cover from the charger. On the front face of the charger right above the circuit breaker on the inside you will see a relay with four wires. Take the bottom two and jump them together. DO NOT HOLD ON TO THESE WHILE CHARGER IS PLUGGED IN. Once charger is plugged into cart and wall it should kick on in a few seconds. If it does NOT the charger is bad.

If it DOES I would recommend letting it run for 2-3 hours. Then put the wires back original on the relay and plug it all in again. If the charger kicks on in a few seconds with everything back the way it was then your pack voltage was too low and the charger has brought it up enough with the relay bypass to make it all work correctly. If it does not kick back on once it has ran in bypass for a few hours more then likely the relay is bad.

I hope this was not too confusing. I tried not to. And I hope it helps.
Storm S is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car