lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
wt9
Not Yet Wild

Default 36v batteries in 48v cart

A friend of mine has replaced 6 - 8v batteries with 6 - 6v batteries on an older club car ruff n tuff. Not knowing any more about carts than I do, my first thoughts are that it should work. Speed will be slower, amps is probably a wash. Charger is a question mark but the current regulator should manage the lower voltage. If it will physically fit, I could tell him to buy two more batteries. He ran the cart about 10 minutes hopefully that did not damage anything. Batteries are dead now and will not charge.
wt9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Default Re: 36v batteries in 48v cart

Lots of guys go with 8 six volt batteries instead of 6 eights because of longer run time of the pack that way. You have to do a little fab work, but it can be done, especially since all new batteries were just put in, you could get two more to match and you'd be good. Do some searching on here for the 8 six volt conversion and you should be able to get some ideas on making it work out.

Also, welcome to BGW!!
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #3
wt9
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the response, he is going to try and exchange for 8v batteries first. Fab skills are not high, I happen to be the EE within 200 miles. his issue sparked my interest, I would have thought you could lower the voltage without any issues.
wt9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt9 View Post
Thanks for the response, he is going to try and exchange for 8v batteries first. Fab skills are not high, I happen to be the EE within 200 miles. his issue sparked my interest, I would have thought you could lower the voltage without any issues.
The charger will not appreciate 36v's The cars OBC will want to charge until it sees 59-64v during the charge which is far too high for 6 volt batteries resulting in them being overcharged also a flat 48v pack is 42v and a full 36v pack is 38.22 Hope he can get them swapped.
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

There's no way 36v will work in a 48v cart. Go ahead and put some 8s in there, or add 2 more 6v batts. The controller, motor, and charger are all set up for 48 volts.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car