lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
Storm S
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Battery "OH NO".....

I was asked to look at a friend of the family's golf cart that has not run in a while. It is a 36v EZGo. I found the problem being the controller and replaced it. Pack voltage was 8 volts. I bypassed the charger and plugged it in to charge. As I was checking things out i popped the fill caps to check water level and was told by the lady "oh they are filled my husband was good at checking that and always made sure they were full" Come to find out he was putting tap water in NOT distilled. My question is..... Is it too late or can something be done? Should they be dumped out and refilled and hope for the best or leave them as is or is there an additive that should be done or anything? lol.... As always thanks for all the input everyone always provides.....

Ps. The cart drives with the charger plugged in. Now its just battery what ifs. I have not been back out to test it by battery power yet.
Storm S is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
scotter
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery "OH NO".....

Damage has already been done.
Charge em and see if you can resurrect.
scotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
Outlawcart
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm S View Post
Ps. The cart drives with the charger plugged in. Now its just battery what ifs. I have not been back out to test it by battery power yet.
Just curious, is it bad to leave the charger plugged into the cart. Only reason I ask is all the rentals do this but I don't yet personally. Have thought about it though.
Outlawcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
Storm S
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawcart View Post
Just curious, is it bad to leave the charger plugged into the cart. Only reason I ask is all the rentals do this but I don't yet personally. Have thought about it though.
If your charger is working correctly it turns itself off when the pack is full.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawcart View Post
What kind of cart do you have? 36 or 48 volt? Either way, you should be fine, since 48v chargers are automatic, and 36v are either automatic or have a timer that will shut the charger off.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm S View Post
I was asked to look at a friend of the family's golf cart that has not run in a while. It is a 36v EZGo. I found the problem being the controller and replaced it. Pack voltage was 8 volts. I bypassed the charger and plugged it in to charge. As I was checking things out i popped the fill caps to check water level and was told by the lady "oh they are filled my husband was good at checking that and always made sure they were full" Come to find out he was putting tap water in NOT distilled. My question is..... Is it too late or can something be done? Should they be dumped out and refilled and hope for the best or leave them as is or is there an additive that should be done or anything? lol.... As always thanks for all the input everyone always provides.....

I would just add distilled water from here on and use the parked and plugged charging method. Hopefully they will come back some...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
EricNCSU1204
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

When not being used. Plug the cart in.
EricNCSU1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
scottginfla
72 volt torque monster

Club Car

Not to star another debate, but a battery desulfator could also help.
scottginfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Tap water generally isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Distilled water is best but tap water is not going to destroy a battery like people think it will. Water out of a well on the other hand.... it's very hard on a battery.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
Storm S
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottginfla View Post
Not to star another debate, but a battery desulfator could also help.
Link? If you don't mind?

After the charger running for 10 hours 5 of the batteries read on average 6.27 and one of them read 4.1...... I am hoping there is a chance for the one if I charge it on its own for a bit with a microprocessed charger and that the other 5 will end up taking a full charge little by little. Fingers are crossed this family really could not swing a full pack right now. I might end up buying just one if it does not get up there with the rest to get them moving around.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car