lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #21
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Decisions, Decisions... DCS to PDF Conversion???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedzGo View Post
Yeah. Change orders and keeping up with the Jonse's normally makes for a good profit for the store owner.
yurtle: Interesting way of looking at it.
I worked as an Owner's rep for several decades, and fair is fair. I wouldn't present a change order that I didn't believe in, but owners aren't entitled to somethin' for nothin'. No one made a higher profit margin than they were entitled to, or I wouldn't endorse it.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #22
CedzGo
Gone Wild

Agreed. Not saying that the dealer is doing anything wrong with trying to make a sale. I'd be doing the same if I were in his shoes. We are dealing with myself being a DIY person negotiating with a dealer that needs to be able to charge for labor. Hopefully we will be able to find a balance. This forum is an aid to dealers and customers alike.

I'm grateful for the knowledge and experience on both sides.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
CedzGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #23
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I've worked as a manufacturer rep, customer rep and vendor rep and have preceded "Change Order" with colorful language in each role.

However, it was usually due the timeline issues and snowball effects rather than financial, other than the fact time is money.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #24
CedzGo
Gone Wild

Alright everyone...

All of this controller/motor talk got me to thinking...

Eventually, I will probably upgrade my motor from a stock DCS motor. Here's the question before I get to the motor upgrade... I'm considering a gear swap as well. I know when you change rear-end gears, you loose torque. Has anybody tried a high-torque motor with a 6:1 or 8:1 gear ratio?

If so, did it hurt or help your top end? Did your buggie still have a reasonable takeoff?

I'm considering 22"-23" tires. I know the tires effect your final drive ratio as well. Looking for anywhere between 25-30 mph. Is this even possible with a high-torque motor and gear swap?

Thanks Team BGW!!!
Old 10-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #25
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I got 24MPH with a DCX400 controller, stock PDS motor, stock gears and 18.3" tall tires at 36V and 28MPH at 42V.

As I understand it, the DCS motor has more torque than a PDS motor, so the same setup would probably run a bit slower. (But the difference could be in field mapping, since PDS motors use map#4 and DCS motors use map#9 in the same DCX controller)

Personally, if I was going to build a DCS cart to run in the 25-30 MPH range, I start by replacing the controller with a DCX500 and installing a 48V Super-Duty solenoid (which will operate at 36V also) and upgrading the high current cables to 2Ga.

That would establish a speed/torque benchmark to build from.

Tire height does change the final drive ratio, but it is also a cosmetic.
A lift is needed for tires taller than about 20", but raises center of gravity, which alters the carts stability.

Once you get the look you want and then select motor and gears to keep motor RPM below 6,500 RPM at top speed on level ground.

Also, at some point, you need to decide what battery pack voltage to use.
The higher the voltage, the faster the top end.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #26
CedzGo
Gone Wild

All good advice in that response. I was seeing 22mph with the DCX400 and stock tires, so it seems consistent with your advice.

You pretty much summed it up for me here "Once you get the look you want and then select motor and gears to keep motor RPM below 6,500 RPM at top speed on level ground."

I'm probably trying to consider too much at the same time...

Thanks...
Old 10-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #27
rib33024

What controller did you get,
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #28
CedzGo
Gone Wild

DCX400. I have room to upgrade if need be. I'll probably wait until I need or want more power first...

Edit: I like your signature.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #29
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If your stock tires are Carlisle Links, they are 17.4" tall and your motor is spinning at 5,287 RPM at 22.0 MPH.

Mathematically, with 22" tires, you will get 27.8 MPH at that RPM, loosing 21% of the torque you have with stock height tires.
With 23" tires in will be a little under 29.1 MPH with a 24% torque loss.

Tall tires take more Amps to turn, so the actual top speed will be less than the theoretical top speed.

Upping the pack voltage when it is time to replace the pack will up both speed and torque.

I picked up 4 MPH and a lot of torque when I went from 36V to 42 volts while running a stock PDS motor and a DCX400.

-------
Take your time, ask questions, weigh the options.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO