lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default RXV Solenoid

Question.. I had a friend with an RXV that was acting weird. Cart would run fine then wouldn't move when pedal pressed. Key switch would give you the reverse buzzer in reverse like normal and everything seemed normal. I checked the solenoid and had continuity when it was not energized so that is not normal as there is no resistor. Smacked the solenoid and that went away so then tried the cart and ran fine until it stuck again. Replaced solenoid and thought all was well. Just got a text and it is doing it again... roughly 3 weeks ago is when I changed it.. Have not gotten a look at it yet but my question.. It is a 36 volt solenoid and yes that is correct. Why 36 on a 48 volt cart I dunno but can I use another 36 volt solenoid I have to test this thing ? I have a new standard 36 volt that may not bolt up but the connections are there..

Comments ?
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2014, 04:44 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: RXV Solenoid

Do it, i have installed "trombetta" and "albright" to replace the crappy solenoid they used to use. (i wouldnt count on the old model solenoid to operate a electric bicycle)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:09 PM   #3
cartboy
Gone Wild

Is this enough solenoid problem info:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...oblem-iii.html
cartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:13 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

The one I put in there looks like the one used in gas carts but 36 volt and was supposed to be a better replacement. Think it had a trombetta in there. I dunno. Going to look at it now. Will update later. Last solenoid looked partially melted so may ask if driving has changed.. You carrying fat chicks around?
Old 06-30-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Well.. This one was melted also.. Changed the solenoid and put a new cable on the bad side. Took it out for a spin and solenoid cool but a few cables warm. Going to replace them all after the weekend.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:47 AM   #6
koshari
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ours is a trombetta. seems a little slow to pick up once you turn the key on, is any one elses like nearly a good half a second to switch?

other than that it appears all good.
koshari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:52 AM   #7
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Hi

Solenoid is not operated by key switch on RXV's.
It is activated by computer(controller).
At key on, controller runs POST(power on self test) which includes powering solenoid
and motor.
All that to say delay is normal operation.

Note: Solenoid is not activated by "gas " pedal like most carts

RXV's electrical system is very sensitive to tampering-- please do not attempt
mods to wire harness. Many bad experiences documented here where "normal"
stuff like wiring accessories to keyswitch fried controller.(yes it does)

Good luck !!
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:10 PM   #8
koshari
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default RXV Solenoid

Ok. Yes just checked the diagram. Whilst the + feed to the solenoid is via the key switch the return leg goes back the the controller where it is undoubtably grounded after the POST check.

If the controller had some current limiting in the return leg this would also be a reason that a 36v solenoid is used without burning out.

I have added 12v accessories btw however I took the 48 volts straight from the battery bank and used a 48v relay controlled from the key switch To power the dc-dc convertor leaving the standard wiring pretty much undisturbed.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #9
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Careful adding ANYTHING to key switch.
Very easy to kill controller.
I do not recommend adding to key switch. Much better to tap off switched power side of solenoid.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #10
koshari
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

i popped the relay coil wire over to the load side of the contacts, it takes a second more for the radio to come on and a few seconds more for it to go off now.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO