lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #11
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Default Re: Whose rear end is this?

That's what I'm guessing I'll have to do - I wonder if anyone would happen to have the manual for a cart in the year range these rear ends were used and if it covers rear end service?? It's odd that they would have used a rear end that had no removable pan AND no drain plug.

It also looks like I have a male splined output shaft on the motor - I've never had it pulled off to tell. I might have to investigate a little further on that, I'd always assumed it was a standard female 19 spline output shaft. If anyone knows the year range these differentials were used, I'd really appreciate the info!
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #12
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Did some investigating and found some good stuff today.

Check out those max RPMs

IMG_20140709_140327_061.jpg

Drain plug?

IMG_20140709_140706_826.jpg

Fill plug? And side where the numbers are

IMG_20140709_140355_464.jpg

EZGO stamping and date (agrees with the S/N, yay!!)

IMG_20140709_141425_689.jpg

EDIT: After some digging, page 2 of this thread has some GREAT info!! http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...86-1987-a.html

And after even MORE digging, it appears that the funky extra long threaded shaft on the motor is a 1 1/2 year only thing for EZGO that only worked with these rear ends. Leave it to me to have the one oddball cart that I'll never be able to find parts for if I need them....

This leads me to an important question: Does anyone have an 86 or 87 service manual or any manual which shows this rear end and if those are actually fill and drain plugs, and how much/what type of oil? Filling to the top plug seems like an awful lot, but filling to the bottom plug seems like way too little.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:13 PM   #13
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

A special thanks to Crash Test Dummy!! He supplied me with an illustrated 84-86 EZGO parts manual, which covers this differential since it began production halfway through 86. That bottom plug is magnetic, and is a drain, and the top one is a fill plug, just as I'd suspected.

Now all that's left is to find the service specs for this bad boy - does the rear end get a certain amount of oil or does one fill it until it runs out the fill hole?? If anyone's got an 86 or 87 owners or service manual, I'd be extremely grateful for the info!
Old 07-11-2014, 06:55 AM   #14
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Typically gear cases with both a fill and drain plug arrangement are "fill to spill", meaning that you fill the oil till it starts coming out the fill plug. There are exceptions and they would be noted in a service manual if so (i.e. fill to 1/2" below the fill plug).
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:05 AM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here are the Parts manual and the Owner/Service manuals.

Looks like the Service manual has some info on opening the pumpkin.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #16
crash test dummy

i fill mine to top fill hole
Old 07-11-2014, 08:45 PM   #17
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Thanks Johnnie! I'd be lost on so many things if it weren't for the awesome folks who offer up their advice and experience on here.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #18
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Alright, I'm armed and dangerous with information!!

The rear end holds 8-10 ounces. When the fluid level is at the bottom of the bottom plug, that is 6 ounces. The manual calls for Chevron RPM Delo Multi-Service 200-30, whatever the heck that is - I believe it loosely cross references to 80w-90, and since I have a quart of that it's what I'll use.

This is one of the most helpful threads I've ever started, lots of good info on the 86.5-87 Marathon rear differentials.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:03 PM   #19
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

The operation was successful.

IMG_20140723_163140_847.jpg

Darn drain plug still allows 6oz to be in the rear end, gotta basically roll the cart to drain it or take out the rear end. A siphon pump won't work because the hose won't go down past something right inside the drain plug, tried that before the gravity method. I managed to get all but an ounce or so out, since the acceptable level is 8-10oz I put about 8oz new in - went with 80w-90. Good thing this isn't a more regular maintenance item or I'd have to scrap this rear end and motor and do a DANA swap.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:13 PM   #20
crash test dummy

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO