lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #1
coosa
Gone Wild

Default Need help on a lift kit

Got home today and planned to put on the lift kit on my project cart, and ran into a problem. That always happens on my projects. When I got to the nut the wrench is on, I removed the old cotter pin, then tried to remove the nut. The entire shaft turns and there is nothing to hold to prevent it. My old Marathon wasn't like this, and I'm not sure what I need to do. I suspect the solution is simple, but when you don't know, you don't know.

So how do I hold the bolt so that I can remove the nut? Its really frozen on there. Thanks for any help!

coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2014, 08:21 PM   #2
DIRTPIT HC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Need help on a lift kit

I had to use needle nose vise grips in between the bushing and tie end to hold the bolt.
DIRTPIT HC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #3
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

Under the boot on the tie rod you should be able to put an open end wrench on the stud end.
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
coosa
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTPIT HC View Post
I had to use needle nose vise grips in between the bushing and tie end to hold the bolt.

Thanks for the idea!

How is it made? Is there nothing square or hex that is available to grab? Is something wrong with mine that it spins like that, or is it just made without any way to take the thing off when it freezes up?

I thought about filing the bottom of the bolt square and trying to hold it with a wrench, but not sure if I have room for that.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:59 PM   #5
coosa
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokeasmowl View Post
Under the boot on the tie rod you should be able to put an open end wrench on the stud end.
There is no slack in there to insert a wrench. I think I'd have to destroy the boot to get a wrench in there, and I doubt I could buy a new one locally. I was hoping to be able to salvage everything and get it installed tomorrow, but may not be able. Thanks for the advice!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:05 PM   #6
Timscarts
Getting Wild

Club Car

I've always had good luck with an impact wrench, use a c clamp to push the ball joint bolt into the spindle to help keep it from spinning.
Timscarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #7
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I believe that ball joint is tapered where it fits in the spindle. Try knocking the ball joint down into the spindle as far as it will go, or tighten the nut as much as you can. This may seat the tapered ball joint so it does not spin when you remove the nut.
Bmatlock00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:09 PM   #8
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Impact wrench.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:16 PM   #9
coosa
Gone Wild

Thanks for all the ideas. I don't have an impact wrench; this is a backyard job by an amateur with limited equipment. I don't even have a C clamp, but I'll go buy one and give that a try tomorrow.

My old Marathon was easy to work on and I can't remember having so many problems when working on it. It seemed like EZGO designed it so that it would be easy for the average guy to work on it. I get the feeling with this cart that they did everything they could to make the average guy give up and take it to the dealer for any repairs. The engineer that decided to put those torx screws right under the body on the battery rack was either a sadist, or acting under orders from someone to make it difficult to replace.

I took great pleasure in throwing both of those torx screws as far into the woods as I could when I finally got them out. They can rust for eternity.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:18 AM   #10
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It's just a tie rod end. Your old cart had a couple also. It's not something that has to go to a dealer. You can't fix everything with an adjustable wrench and a screwdriver. I love tools though and have just about everything. If I need a tool to do a job I buy it. No way it's going to a dealer.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO