lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2014, 08:35 AM   #11
SnuffyDuff
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: '06 TXT Series Won't Go & I Can't Follow Instructions

If that document is incorrect what is the procedure after determining that I have 14volts at step 23? Is there a better document to use to figure out what's wrong with my cart?
I don't mind buying the ITS but I only have the ITS, the controller and the FNR switch (and I guess the motor) left to buy and I will have replaced everything on the cart! And for around $2300 I can get a newer 48v cart.
Thanks for the continued assistance!
-Carl
SnuffyDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-25-2014, 09:33 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnuffyDuff View Post
If that document is incorrect what is the procedure after determining that I have 14volts at step 23? Is there a better document to use to figure out what's wrong with my cart?
I don't mind buying the ITS but I only have the ITS, the controller and the FNR switch (and I guess the motor) left to buy and I will have replaced everything on the cart! And for around $2300 I can get a newer 48v cart.
Thanks for the continued assistance!
-Carl
If you have the rear wheel off the ground and on jackstands, connect a jumper wire from the main B+ terminal on the battery to the solenoid's small terminal that has two red wires connected to it. That will energize the solenoid, so you have the potential for a totally uncontrollable runaway cart, but it also applies B+ to Pin-4 turning on the controller, which in turn applies voltage to the ITS circuit and Step-24 is valid.

Just to be sure we are on the same page, the 4-pin connector to be disconnected, is at the end of the grey cable coming out of the pedal box. It is in front of the batteries, where the wiring harness goes through the cart frame rather than being by the controller as you mentioned in your first post in this thread.

I have to take care of some things, but I'll be back and post a quick way to troubleshoot electric carts.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:09 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Universal troubleshooting for a DC cart that won't go forward or backwards.

Lift rear wheels off the ground and put on jack stands so the half ton cart doesn't take off unexpectedly and run over someone or something.

1. Measure battery pack voltage. Cart batteries ought to be charged after each use, so they ought to be fairly close to 100% SoC, but lower is fine for troubleshooting. However, you do need to know what the pack voltage is to troubleshoot.

2. Does the solenoid click when the pedal is pushed?

a. If not, break out the schematic for the type drive system you have and troubleshoot the solenoid activation circuit.

b. If so, the problem is in the high current circuit. Go to Step-3.

3. Connect your DVM's test leads between the controller's B- and M- terminals (M- is labeled A1 on PDS controllers) and press pedal just far enough to make the solenoid click and you should read FULL battery pack voltage.

a. If not, break out the schematic for the type drive system you have and go looking for the battery pack voltage with the test lead that was attached to the M- terminal.

b. If so, go to Step-4

4. Slowly press pedal to floor. Voltage between B- and M- should smoothly decrease to Zero.

a. If not, the problem is either within the controller or in the throttle circuit. Go to Step-5

b. Is so, the motor ought to be spinning, or something ought to be getting hot. There are a lot of amps flowing somewhere.

5. If the voltage between B- and M- does not decrease to Zero when pedal is pushed to floor, verify the controller is receiving the proper throttle signal from the throttle circuit. Note: Different make/model controllers have different throttle signals even though they may use the same ITS sensor.

a. If the throttle signal is correct, the controller is most likely bad.

b. If the throttle signal is not correct, break out the schematic for the throttle type and controller you have and troubleshoot the the throttle circuit.

--------------
The above process narrows the problem down to a specific area, but does not tell you how to troubleshoot the specific circuits. To do that, you'll need a schematic for the specific drive type and controller.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Universal troubleshooting for a DC cart that won't go forward or backwards.

Lift rear wheels off the ground and put on jack stands so the half ton cart doesn't take off unexpectedly and run over someone or something.

1. Measure battery pack voltage. Cart batteries ought to be charged after each use, so they ought to be fairly close to 100% SoC, but lower is fine for troubleshooting. However, you do need to know what the pack voltage is to troubleshoot.

2. Does the solenoid click when the pedal is pushed?

a. If not, break out the schematic for the type drive system you have and troubleshoot the solenoid activation circuit.

b. If so, the problem is in the high current circuit. Go to Step-3.

3. Connect your DVM's test leads between the controller's B- and M- terminals (M- is labeled A1 on PDS controllers) and press pedal just far enough to make the solenoid click and you should read FULL battery pack voltage.

a. If not, break out the schematic for the type drive system you have and go looking for the battery pack voltage with the test lead that was attached to the M- terminal.

b. If so, go to Step-4

4. Slowly press pedal to floor. Voltage between B- and M- should smoothly decrease to Zero.

a. If not, the problem is either within the controller or in the throttle circuit. Go to Step-5

b. Is so, the motor ought to be spinning, or something ought to be getting hot. There are a lot of amps flowing somewhere.

5. If the voltage between B- and M- does not decrease to Zero when pedal is pushed to floor, verify the controller is receiving the operating voltage for it’s circuit board & proper throttle signal from the throttle circuit. Note: Different make/model controllers have different throttle signals even though they may use the same ITS sensor.

a. If the throttle signal is correct, the controller is most likely bad.

b. If the throttle signal is not correct, break out the schematic for the throttle type and controller you have and troubleshoot the the throttle circuit.

--------------
The above process narrows the problem down to a specific area, but does not tell you how to troubleshoot the specific circuits. To do that, you'll need a schematic for the specific drive type and controller.

This is an excellent overview
I added one thing you may want to include?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:34 PM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
This is an excellent overview
I added one thing you may want to include?
I can go either way on that.

I didn't emphasize the need for having sufficient operating voltage feeding the controller's circuits enough, did I. GIGO applies.

Looking for the proper input if I don't have a proper output is so automatic for me, I don't think about it.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:12 PM   #16
SnuffyDuff
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys. I'll try these this afternoon after my paying job
Appreciate the input and I'll definitely use site sponsors for parts needed. This site is a life saver!
-Carl
SnuffyDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO