lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
Bartman357
Not Yet Wild

Default tire slime

What's everyone's opinion on tire slime? Ihave a couple thorn holes in my off road tires.
Bartman357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-15-2014, 10:32 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: tire slime

Seems to never work for me, and it usually causes a sticky mess.
I use tire plugs when I have a leaky tire. I take the tire off, use soapy water to find the leak (you will see a bunch of bubbles), then use the reamer to ream the hole out and then insert the plug. They sell kits and it's easy to do
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:37 AM   #3
TAT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Slime is not good with aluminum wheels.
TAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:16 AM   #4
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Whoever changes your tires will hate you.
tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:06 AM   #5
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

We have used it for years in atvs,mowers,and carts.The only reason it wont work on aluminum-wheels is if the beads are corroded.Use the Atv-blend,it is a heavier mix,shake it good to mix it,and if you read the sheet,it says to use about 20-pumps for a 22"tire(i buy the gallon),i usually do about 15 and they are fine.It wont fix a hole,but tings like thorn will seal,especially if you leave the thorn in.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:20 AM   #6
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . . here is what I use . . . it was recommended to me many years ago by a local ATV dealer . . .

http://www.highlifter.com/p-352-high...oz-bottle.aspx

. . . and it's made in the USA!
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

If you use something like that, make sure it's not one of the ones that is meant to be a temporary, get me to the nearest repair shop, solution. I bought a used RV a few years ago and on my first trip out I got a flat. I slapped on the spare and went to add some air to it and the valve stem popped out, so I was stuck. I took the flat to a shop to get fixed and when they pulled the tire off the rim, they saw that, at some point, some sort of tire slime type product had been used in it and left that way. They told me it basically ate the tire up from the inside out over time and my tire was beyond repair and I had to buy a new one on the spot. This was 2 hours from home on a weekend and I was very fortunate to be in a town off the interstate that happened to have 1 tire shop open on a saturday and they happened to have 1 tire in stock that fit the specs I needed.

My advice - take the wheel off the cart and take it to be repaired properly. Usually doesn't cost much or take long.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #8
Bartman357
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the comments. Since the tires are so new (3 months). I'm going to patch it!
Bartman357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:02 PM   #9
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Slime is meant to be a preventative for offroad use mostly,if you happen to damage a tire while riding,it will get you home.Yes,if possible,repair it,but slime wont damage a tire.Other "fix-a-flat" chemicals may,but ones like slime will not.I used to do repair work for a customer with trash-haulers that ran to landfills,his tires all ran a slime-type liquid that was put in every tire when it was installed,and that stuff would seal anything,and i mean anything.He had a loader with a piece of 1"-rebar thru the sidewall,and it didnt leak.We cut the bar off with a cutoff saw and left it there,never went flat,even years later.Your damaged interior of the tire was likely from being run flat,the tire will shred quickly on the inside from that,while the exterior looks fine.To sum it up,if you run trails that are thorny and rocky,tubes help,but slime is great insurance. I trust it 100%.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #10
tjequip
Gone Wild

Club Car

Where I ride there is alot of prickly pear cactus I have thorns in my tires frequently. I added the green slime to the tires 3-4 years ago and have not had a flat on the cart or four wheelers since.
tjequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car