lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2019, 04:35 PM   #81
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: DIY Lithium Conversion

I only balance my pack a few times a year - it stays pretty well balanced on it's own. With my balance circuit it only takes me about 15 minutes to balance - I do it after charging periodically.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-04-2021, 03:02 PM   #82
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So the stock 48v solenoid lasted 2 years and 2 months on the lithium batteries.

I just was in a Christmas parade where I pulled a 24 foot long float (including tongue length) at relatively low speeds without issue, or so I thought. But that was the last error free ride of any real length on the cart. Since then I moved it twice around the yard, no problem but they were short moves of the cart. Then my daughter went to take the cart out on New Years Eve Day and it made it 3 blocks and died.

Back home, hooked up the laptop it says the battery voltage drops to 45.5V (cutoff voltage). The battery V is fine before the solenoid and bad after. Quick purchase from Scotty B at CartsUnlimited.NET and I have the contactor sitting in my hands already! I ordered it on New Years Day and BAM! Here it is! Scotty, I have to tell you that is WAY faster than I expected it to arrive, thank you!

Anyway, to those out there looking to convert to lithium, the stock coil did last a while under the abuse I put it through, but go ahead and order a heavier duty one from Scotty. Then change it out when you get bored, hopefully before it fails.

As for how the cart did with the parade, no issues on parade night. I did add an array of four 12v fans in series that blow on the motor. I had that for last year so I just connected the wire this year and it was good to go.

Actually, I did have an issue. The trailer that was the basis for the float hadn't been used in a year and I didn't realize it had 7 PSI in the drivers side tire until I went to line up for parade start... Luckily one of the ppl watching had a compressor handy. After that, all good.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:50 PM   #83
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I ordered the heavy duty contactor and it only lasted 4 years on my cart. The failure mode had nothing with the load on it - contacts looked brand new. The end of the plunger peened over and failed so the contacts did not close all the way. That burned up the pull-in coil and caused the contactor to fail open. With a good precharge circuit, the contacts will last forever anyway.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:29 PM   #84
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So I installed the pack (47AH) in June 2018. Later that year I doubled up the pack to 94AH. Today I wanted to see what range I was getting per 1V of pack drain and went on an 12 mile jaunt. I went from 54.6 to 50.3. Almost exactly 3 miles per 1V after 3 years of use on the battery pack.

So by my estimation, it's holding up pretty good! If I was charged to 57.6 then I'd get 21 miles before getting to 50.6 and from what I've read online 50.6 is vaguely around the lithium knee (3.65vpc). Still all cells within 0.01V of each other. The BMS is still sitting in my tool box....... The charger I use is a Luna Cycle charger with an 80%, 90%, 100% knob that I leave at 80% and it goes to 57.6v and stops.
https://lunacycle.com/luna-charger-5...ebike-charger/

It does take hours to charge, but who cares? I plug the cart in when it gets to 50.X volts and it charges overnight or if the kids are running it around I charge a few hours here or a few hours there. They probably put 30 miles on it in a day when just cruising.

At this point, on lead acid, I'd be in a situation where I'd start to have to save up for a new pack and I'd start to notice a little bit of reduction in range... So I'm happy with my Chevy Volt cells!

I have the Luna Cycle charger and the 12v charger onboard. One extension cord plugs into the body of the cart and it activates a 120V relay that connects the chargers to the batteries and powers both the 57.6V side and 12v side. when I unplug the outlet, the relay opens and the chargers are completely disconnected from the pack. Fuses on every lead into or out of the pack and have never tripped a single fuse.

Next step, street legal... If it were street legal now I'd drive this thing everywhere... In FL a Low Speed Vehicle can drive on any 35mph or lower street and cross bigger ones so in my town I can go anywhere with a little creativity.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO