lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2023, 07:37 PM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: fe290 rev limiter disconnected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwocart View Post
I have never experienced this on either of my carts. I tested the cart again with 23" tires. with rev limiter and zip tie I was only getting 16-17 mph and rev limiter immediately kicks in. Disconnect rev limiter and I can run 21 no problem (I can get up to 24 if i adjust the zip tie but it sounds like the motor is going to rattle apart ) Doesn't matter if cart is cold or at running temp, limiter acts the same.

My stock cart runs 15??? tops with zip tie in same position as the lifted cart. stock wheels. what exactly is the procedure for getting 20 mph out of it? I'm certain when I tightened the zip tie on the stock cart it hit the rev limiter too
As echoed already, clutches and belt. We need a short video, just put it on YouTube and paste the link here.

My 94 DS does about 18 on the stock wheels and tires. I could get a few more mph out of it but it’s comfortable there. If I want to go fast I’ll drive my electric one.

Take the seat off your cart, put it in neutral, and spin the yellow knob on the back of the shifter (inside the engine compartment) 180 degrees. This is service mode and will let you run the cart in neutral.

Take a short video revving the engine and record the belt and both clutches so we can see how far UP the drive clutch it climbs and how far DOWN the driven clutch it sinks to.

I got money says your belt is only making it about 2/3 of the way up your drive clutch.

Also pictures showing the profile of the sheaves where the belt rides on both clutches will help. I’ll bet they’re dishes pretty good.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-11-2023, 02:56 PM   #12
Ricks_club
Gone Wild

Quote:
I took the bracket off and cleaned everything up/painted, and replaced all the old rusty hardware so it took me a few days to get everything back together. Currently with brown wire hooked up the motor cuts out at about 16mph (used to get 21-22), then tries to run again and repeatedly cuts out. I am assuming these are all signs that my rev limiter is working properly.

I do have a zip tie on there to speed it up, and have ran the cart for a couple years (no idea on rpms) getting 21-22 mph even when I drive it wide open for 5-6 miles at a time with the pedal to the floor.

Plan for now is to remove the brown wire and continue as is. Not sure on RPMS but haven't had any problems before now.
Get one of these and hook it up before you blow that engine:
https://www.amazon.com/small-engine-...ine+tachometer
Ricks_club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 05:54 PM   #13
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Before you buy anything... (belts, clutches. tachs, etc.)
You have a 96 pre-unitized transaxle!

Measure the distance between the Drive and Driven Clutches...
It NEEDS to be 9-5/8" center to center! (no more, no less)
And Yes, the engine cradle has oval slotted holes!
(Granted, a new drive belt every 2 or 3 years is never a bad thing!)

Post-96 transaxles are unitized, and aren't adjustable!

Please check that first!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 08:47 AM   #14
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
As echoed already, clutches and belt. We need a short video, just put it on YouTube and paste the link here.

When i read your first post - i read it as I would need to upgrade my clutches (via springs and/or replace with a different clutch) as well as put a new belt on. Fair enough I didn't really consider the condition of a 30 year old clutch but makes sense. I have replaced the drive belt, I forget if I replaced the driven but i believe so. I'll know when I look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I got money says your belt is only making it about 2/3 of the way up your drive clutch.

Also pictures showing the profile of the sheaves where the belt rides on both clutches will help. I’ll bet they’re dishes pretty good.
This is very possible. Ill take some pics, I clearly needed a little more explanantion.
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 08:54 AM   #15
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricks_club View Post
Get one of these and hook it up before you blow that engine:
https://www.amazon.com/small-engine-...ine+tachometer

been running it for a couple years and honestly half of this forum will tell you "its hard to blow up fe290 you really have to have it balls to the wall and it will sound like death before exploding" and others say to run a tach so you don't go over ~4k. I plan on ordering one and I'm really not trying to max it out. 21 is fast enough for the lifted cart and i already backed it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post

Please check that first!

Thanks, I dont remember ever reading this before. I'll give it a shot - I had the motor out a couple times on the stock DS and I'm sure I didn't measure anything when I put it back in
Old 03-17-2023, 02:21 PM   #16
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post

Please check that first!

it was as dead on as i could tell while trying to hold a ruler and measure it myself. was actually surprised how close it was.
Old 03-17-2023, 02:23 PM   #17
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

so i adjusted the governor, the throttle cable, hooked rev limiter back up, re did my zip tie mod to where im at ~3900 RPMS, not hitting the rev limiter, and im getting 16 mph.

guess ill pull the clutch off and see - it appears its going about 2/3 of the way up the drive clutch when running, you can see when you drive it or just by where the aluminum is shiny
Old 03-17-2023, 06:56 PM   #18
Scooter Bob
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
guess ill pull the clutch off and see - it appears its going about 2/3 of the way up the drive clutch when running, you can see when you drive it or just by where the aluminum is shiny
Could you please post a picture of the belt and clutches when at rest?

As stated earlier, worn clutch faces, worn or sticking clutch plate movement, or too long or too narrow of a belt may cause these issues.

In service mode, when revved up, the engine (primary) clutch should have the belt all the way out to the largest diameter, and the driven (secondary) clutch should have the belt all the way to the bottom, for maximum speed ratio.
Scooter Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 07:47 PM   #19
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

with bob

Still waiting for pictures of your clutch sheaves to confirm my suspicions. But I still say they’re shot and need to be replaced. At minimum the drive clutch based on your description that the belt goes like 2/3 up when it’s revved. That’s usually a pretty clear indicator. Got called into work tomorrow morning but tomorrow afternoon or Sunday I plan to install my lift kit anyway and I’ll try and take a video of how they SHOULD look when they work properly. Both my clutches are new.

My gas cart is a 94. I used a 97+ drive clutch and it works perfectly fine. I’ve done the same on several carts in the past and never had a problem. I have had no issues with the cheap aftermarket $100ish eBay/Amazon clutches.

Driven (rear) clutch is a different story. The rotation direction makes a difference here. The pre-96 driven clutches are expensive for the aluminum ones. And the cheesy steel ones suck. HOWEVER you CAN use a 97+ driven clutch as well. They’re around $100 also. But you’ll have to swap the spring in the new clutch out for the white spring in your original clutch. Which means pulling a snap ring and taking the clutch apart. It’s really not difficult but you’ll need a second set of hands and a heavy duty set of snap ring pliers. Can be kind of a PITA your first time but once you do it and get the feel for it, you’ll understand. It’s not hard just kind of a hassle.
Old 03-18-2023, 03:04 PM   #20
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

This is how your clutches SHOULD look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8goVhMSHhEk

Yes my starter belt is a bit loose but it’s not slipping and I don’t feel like messing with it. It’s cold out there
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car