lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2023, 08:50 AM   #41
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Default Re: fe290 rev limiter disconnected?

post #33 (as spoken with enthusiasm from the back of the room)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
The driven clutch isn't opening up all of the way!
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2023, 10:05 AM   #42
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
post #33 (as spoken with enthusiasm from the back of the room)
neither of them were functioning as they should. I'm doing research to see if theyre fixable - I'm not sure if they need a new spring or what
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:13 AM   #43
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwocart View Post
neither of them were functioning as they should. I'm doing research to see if theyre fixable - I'm not sure if they need a new spring or what
I realize its likely different but when I had this issue on my old yamaha, it was from these plastic slide inserts that were worn/missing. I also had to grease it but im sure you've done that..
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 04:41 PM   #44
Scooter Bob
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

There's not a lot to the secondary clutch, a ramped cam with plastic sliders, and a preloaded torsion spring. Maybe just dirty, check for wear while you have it off.
Scooter Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 06:25 PM   #45
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Again… I hate to keep repeating myself but if it were my cart I’d just replace both clutches. You’re halfway there. A new driven clutch is $75 on Amazon.

You can get the 97+ and it works perfectly fine. The springs are just wound opposite directions but the clutches are the same. Just swap your spring over from your old clutch to the new one and it will work just fine. 25+ year old clutches just aren’t worth messing with trying to rebuild. You’ve gotten your moneys worth out of the original.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 09:23 AM   #46
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Again… I hate to keep repeating myself but if it were my cart I’d just replace both clutches. You’re halfway there. A new driven clutch is $75 on Amazon.

You can get the 97+ and it works perfectly fine. The springs are just wound opposite directions but the clutches are the same. Just swap your spring over from your old clutch to the new one and it will work just fine. 25+ year old clutches just aren’t worth messing with trying to rebuild. You’ve gotten your moneys worth out of the original.

I understand where you're coming from. I did pull the clutch off last night and it was incredibly easy to get apart (minus the fact that the shock plate for my lift kit had to be moved out of the way to get it out).

Clutch surfaces don't feel like they are ruined, you can feel a very slight amount of wear. From a quick google search I could buy a button kit for ~$25 and a new spring (since i have it apart figured i could pick up some torque) for ~$35 and I was debating just going that route especially since this driven clutch was extremely simple to disassemble.

I don't have new ones to compare to but I have attached pictures of the buttons and how they are worn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg driven1.jpg (100.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg driven4.jpg (98.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-29-2023, 06:58 PM   #47
Scooter Bob
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwocart View Post
and a new spring (since i have it apart figured i could pick up some torque) for ~$35 a
If you're buying a spring that is supposed in increase torque, that means it is stronger than stock, will hold the sheaves in a lower gear longer, and will reduce top end speed some.

However, you don't know what spring you have now. As I mentioned earlier, maybe it already has a stronger than stock spring.
Scooter Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 07:00 PM   #48
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

That looks like the stock white spring to me.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 10:12 AM   #49
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter Bob View Post
If you're buying a spring that is supposed in increase torque, that means it is stronger than stock, will hold the sheaves in a lower gear longer, and will reduce top end speed some.

However, you don't know what spring you have now. As I mentioned earlier, maybe it already has a stronger than stock spring.

This cart was a maintenance cart for an apartment complex. they barely cobbled together anything else that was broken, i am 99% certain it is stock. I will risk it either way

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
That looks like the stock white spring to me.
It does appear white (judging by the paint that hasnt' rusted off)
Old 04-03-2023, 01:08 PM   #50
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Put the g-boost HD spring on my clutch and replaced the buttons. Cart is running 21mph at a normal RPM of 3800. 23" tires. Figured i might? have gained a little speed but I can't complain. I could feel the torque immediately after I put on the heavier spring.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car