lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2023, 12:58 PM   #11
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 2000 Club Car Carryall2 gas wiring advice needed

Right, these starters are series motors so all of the current that goes through the starter goes through all 4 connections. If any single one of them is crusty or corroded none of it will work.
To add to that, the same current also has to flow from B+ through both solenoid posts, all 4 posts on the starter, the ground point for the starter cable at the frame, the frame ground point for the battery - cable, and the B- terminal on the battery.
So there are 10 different connections and 5 different cables that need to all be in good condition for the starter motor to get the maximum amount of power. If any of those connections or cables are dodgy, starter says NO.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2023, 03:47 PM   #12
Kevin37B
Getting Wild
Club Car

They are the best , Kevin .
Kevin37B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 09:49 AM   #13
JeterPop
Not Yet Wild

I cleaned ALL points of contact and replaced a couple sketchy cables. Helped a little, or at least my optimism kicked in and said so. Still has the hard spot.
I'll bench the starter and see what's doing in there. Is the starter pulley way too small? The starter pulley is just under 2 3/4 inches, the clutch pulley is 6 1/4.

CP241, that is the funniest **** avatar. I'm going to figure out how to print it and put it over my workbench. Watch out for Reddy Killowatt, That @#%*er will kill ya!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg club car belt pullies.jpg (222.7 KB, 0 views)
JeterPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 05:08 PM   #14
Ricks_club
Gone Wild

Can't give you any advice on the starter pulley, but, your clutch belt is way to lose.

You should not be able to press down on the clutch belt and make it mover more than a inch.

Richard
Ricks_club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 05:21 PM   #15
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricks_club View Post
Can't give you any advice on the starter pulley, but, your clutch belt is way to lose.

You should not be able to press down on the clutch belt and make it mover more than a inch.

Richard
Clutch belt should never be tight on these. It's not a side by side.

Both belts are worn out, and from the little bit I can see in the pic the primary clutch is worn out too.
Old 02-21-2023, 08:18 PM   #16
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Clutch belt should never be tight on these. It's not a side by side.

Both belts are worn out, and from the little bit I can see in the pic the primary clutch is worn out too.
Yea clutch is worn, you can see the wear pattern on it pretty clearly. Also clutch belt worn, starter belt is worn and fraying, and I’d give a good look at the secondary clutch as well.

May be a good time to just go through everything on the cart and bring it all up to snuff. Then shouldn’t have to worry about any of it for a very long time.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 09:17 AM   #17
JeterPop
Not Yet Wild

Oh yeah, I know the belts are done. I'm replacing all belts and hoses. I figured if the starter pulley needs resizing I'll do that before replacing the belt.
I hadn't thought of rebuilding the clutches. Haven't done that before but I imagine I can search the site and find what I need to do it.
By the way, I think I found the hard start problem. While everything was hooked back up and I was cranking and testing, I found the cable from B+ to solenoid gets real warm. Replacing that today.
JeterPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 09:37 AM   #18
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The starter pulley is probably worn out, although it's hard to tell without seeing it. When you remove the belt look in the groove of the pulley and see if there's a step worn into it. The sides should be smooth all the way down to the base of the pulley. If the sides go down and then there's a step inwards towards the bottom then it should be replaced.
There's pretty much only one size pulley that goes on the starter, the pulley on the back of the clutch can be several different sizes, but the one that's on it right now is fine.

The belt is probably the main issue. See how the belt sits up higher than the edge of the pulley. That is because it is wider than the pulley, and doesn't fit correctly in the pulley groove. That's an aftermarket belt that is not the correct size.
I would guess the starter pulley is worn out and probably should be replaced, a new OEM belt will fit correctly.
Old 02-22-2023, 11:24 AM   #19
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

IMO rebuilding the clutches isn’t worth it if the sheaves are worn. Better to just replace them. I’ve had good luck with the cheap aftermarket ones, haven’t had any issues with the ones on any of the carts I’ve used them on.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 06:19 PM   #20
Ricks_club
Gone Wild

Hard to believe that from viewing this one photo, you can tell that the clutches are shot and need replacement. And that the starter belt is shot as well as the starter pulley.

You guys have such an imagination. Yes the clutch looks like it needs to be cleaned up, but to say it's shot is hard to believe.

Further more, I have looked around on the shop manuals and it appears that there is NO adjustment for the clutch shaft to shaft distance. So a new belt may help, but also there maybe some adjustment in the driven clutch to allow the belt to be higher in the clutch.

And there are not several rules for CVT clutch belt slack. With the belt that loose, when the engine is reved up. the drive clutch will appear to start the movement in what would be considered second gear in a manual transmission.

If starting movement on an up hill trail, the cart will really struggle to get going with the belt that loose.

Richard
Ricks_club is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car