lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-20-2023, 08:16 PM   #1
JimChamberlin
Not Yet Wild

Default Broken Valve Studs On 3 Newer Carts

I have had THREE ezgo kawasaki engines that had the intake valve stud break this week. We have about 30-something of these carts from 2017-2022.
All of these carts are adjusted to do 24-25 MPH for a few years without engine failure.
We purchased 9 of the 2022's in the last few months.
The 3 carts that are broken now have 5, 10 & 55 hrs.
Besides a bad run of studs or the material can you think of another reason?
JimChamberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-20-2023, 08:18 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Broken Valve Studs On 3 Newer Carts

24-25mph on stock size tires? Seems like an awful lot
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 08:40 PM   #3
JimChamberlin
Not Yet Wild

23" tires
JimChamberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 05:16 AM   #4
prosa69
Not Yet Wild

Wonder if it was a valve lash adjustment issue at the factory. Might want to check some of the other carts to see if set properly.
prosa69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:45 AM   #5
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm learning on the gas carts myself, but sounds like you are pushing it a little too hard. Do you need the speed enough to breaking motors?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
mgray70 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 10:29 AM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I had one several years ago: 2012 TXT 6 seater with the Kawasaki 400 that came in with a broken intake valve stud. Similar to your situation it was lifted with 23" tires and set to go much faster than stock. For the hundreds of those I've had come through the shop (FJ400's) I've only had that one, so far, that's broken that way. While it is always possible there was a defective batch of parts, I would agree with prosa69 that it's probably worth checking valve lash on some of the others you bought more recently.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:02 PM   #7
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

The only time I've broken valve studs or seen them was when I or someone else (before reading the proper procedure in the service manual) tried to adjust them the wrong way, by tightening the stud nut without first loosening the hidden allen screw in the middle of the nut first.

How did you get them to go 24MPH? there's a in-built rev limiter inside the coils that cuts ignition after reaching 19MPH! It's not something you can bypass like on a club car.
nickdalzell1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 06:30 AM   #8
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
The only time I've broken valve studs or seen them was when I or someone else (before reading the proper procedure in the service manual) tried to adjust them the wrong way, by tightening the stud nut without first loosening the hidden allen screw in the middle of the nut first.

How did you get them to go 24MPH? there's a in-built rev limiter inside the coils that cuts ignition after reaching 19MPH! It's not something you can bypass like on a club car.
That's the effect of the larger tires. The rev limiter doesn't know how fast the cart is traveling, it just "reads" engine rpm. The rpm's that will give you 19 mph on 18" tires, will give you 24 mph on 23" tires. Wheels spin the same speed but travel further with each revolution.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO