lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2023, 09:43 AM   #11
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Solar panel on 36V golf cart

I should mention when I tested my solar panel on my golf cart. I got a little over eight amps at the end of october in ny when the sun is on an extreme angle and farther distance and the input would be lower than summer months the panel has something like an 10 amp rating but once boosted to 58v and accounting for losses I expect much less. The place I bought my panel from had a slightly longer 400 W model panel but I did not want to spend the extra coin I kind of regret. It because it would have covered the back seat perfectly. At the time I did not know whether I was going to go with steel or aluminum roof supports and wanted to keep the weight down.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2023, 10:29 AM   #12
Ldom
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the answers guys, I'll have to give it some thought..
The batteries I was looking at are these: link
But I have to admit, the youtube videos where they tried these in golf carts felt like they definitely could have been paid promotion.
Also as I just learned from this (LINK) youtube video, perhaps the price is a little too good to be true? They claim that all batteries are Grade A on the site. Anyway, maybe they aren't really suitable for a golf cart.
Ldom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 10:32 AM   #13
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldom View Post
Thanks for the answers guys, I'll have to give it some thought..
The batteries I was looking at are these: link
But I have to admit, the youtube videos where they tried these in golf carts felt like they definitely could have been paid promotion.
Also as I just learned from this (LINK) youtube video, perhaps the price is a little too good to be true? They claim that all batteries are Grade A on the site. Anyway, perhaps they aren't really suitable for a golf cart.
I know those batteries will work ok in a stock cart.. The big issue is like I mentioned though. with any setup with batteries in a series where there isnt a equalize stage like with lead acid batteries, the lithium batteries will not all equally charge to full capacity over time. if you plan on charging each battery with a 12v lifepo4 charger of its own its not an issue.

Dont get caught up in the "a grade vs B grade thing. its not what you think.. there is no a or b standard. consumers made that up and resellers propagate it. Theres only automotive grade and everything else. if they are defective enough where they know it effects performance they are usually recycles on the spot. theres plenty of non auto grade that didnt make the cut for one reason or another that still work just as well. they do all sorts of testing like exay scans and cosmetic testing. much wont effect performance. a very large portion of the lifepo4 cells that find their way to the solar hobby market are not automotive grade. those that are sell for MUCH more.
many of these Chinese batteries made with smaller cells are using quality cells. Here is a Guy ive been using for years and while his reviews have become a bit biased towards the sponsors who give him free stuff, he still does a good review of things IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YDqFKfm9oA
Old 03-16-2023, 10:38 AM   #14
Ldom
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
I know those batteries will work ok in a stock cart.. The big issue is like I mentioned though. with any setup with batteries in a series where there isnt a equalize stage like with lead acid batteries, the lithium batteries will not all equally charge to full capacity over time. if you plan on charging each battery with a 12v lifepo4 charger of its own its not an issue. dont get caught up in the "a grade vs B grade thing. its not what you think.. there is no a or b standard. only automotive grade and everything else that didnt make the cut for one reason or another.. a very large portion of the lifepo4 cells that find thier way to the solar hobby market are not automotive grade. those that are sell for MUCH more.
many of these chinese batteries made with smaller cells are using quality cells. Here is a Guy ive been using for years and while his reviews have become a bit biased towards the sponsors who give him free stuff, he still does a good review of things IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YDqFKfm9oA

Okay, they claim 100Ah Max Discharge Current but I have to admit I have no idea right now if that's enought for my stock 2008 Melex 252 36V.

So charging them all with something like this (Link) for example, wouldn't work great then?
Charging them individually would be the way to go then? Sorry for the basic questions, just trying to at least understand some more of this for when it's time to buy new batteries.

Ah yes thank you, I'll check the video out. I've seen a few of his videos as well. Not that one though!
Old 03-16-2023, 10:43 AM   #15
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Okay, they claim 100Ah Max Discharge Current but I have to admit I have no idea right now if that's enought for my stock 2008 Melex 252 36V.

So charging them all with something like this (Link) for example, wouldn't work great then?
Charging them individually would be the way to go then? Sorry for the basic questions, just trying to at least understand some more of this for when it's time to buy new batteries.

Ah yes thank you, I'll check the video out. I've seen a few of his videos as well. Not that one though!
No that would be best for a 36 or 48v pack all on one BMS. you need a 14.4-14.6 lifepo4 battery charger or one for each battery if you want to save time charging.

the charger you linked would work but with limited results as whatever batter reaches a full charge first will shut off the bms and voltage to that battery and thus shut off the charger before the other batteries are completely charged and the way lithium works, they charge a lot at the very end when the voltage gets higher and they go into the absorption phase. So the charger shutting off before this is complete can made the balance drift more and more out and shorten your run times.
Old 03-16-2023, 10:45 AM   #16
Ldom
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
No that would be best for a 36 or 48v pack all on one BMS you need a 14.4-14.6 lifepo4 battery charger or one for each battery if you want to save time charging.
I see, yeah that's not really an option then. I wouldn't want to have to charge them all individually, it would take too long. And I'd end up never using the thing and wish I bought a quad bike instead.
Old 03-16-2023, 10:47 AM   #17
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
I see, yeah that's not really an option then. I wouldn't want to have to charge them all individually, it would take too long. And I'd end up never using the thing and wish I bought a quad bike instead.
I added more above. You can find 3 or 4 lifepo4 14v chargers pretty cheap though so id at least look into it. if this the difference between lithium and settling for FLA
Old 03-16-2023, 10:53 AM   #18
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

btw the guy who made that lifpo4 grade a fakes video is a pretty biased anti lithium guy according to the DIY solar forum folks. he is right that everyone claims grade A regardless though... of course there is no official grade B so..
Old 03-16-2023, 04:17 PM   #19
Ldom
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
btw the guy who made that lifpo4 grade a fakes video is a pretty biased anti lithium guy according to the DIY solar forum folks. he is right that everyone claims grade A regardless though... of course there is no official grade B so..
Oh okay, thanks.

So a 36V pack with one bms would be the way to go then I guess, seems a little harder to find right? I know of one company in my country that builds it for you specifications but that'll cost like 3-4 times that of the Enjoybot batteries I linked earlier. So one big 36V pack with a bms in a custom box, and a charger for around $3500-4000

There seems to be so many people that does it the wrong way, like in this video. link
And he's getting a lot of people into buying those and the charger, including me almost.

I just want to be able to plug one cable in and charge it like I do now, having to remove the seat and disconnect cables etc before putting chargers on each battery would be really frustrating.
Old 03-17-2023, 06:35 AM   #20
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you can stomach it I would consider strongly going to 48v.

Quote:
Oh okay, thanks.

So a 36V pack with one bms would be the way to go then I guess, seems a little harder to find right? I know of one company in my country that builds it for you specifications but that'll cost like 3-4 times that of the Enjoybot batteries I linked earlier. So one big 36V pack with a bms in a custom box, and a charger for around $3500-4000

There seems to be so many people that does it the wrong way, like in this video. link
And he's getting a lot of people into buying those and the charger, including me almost.

I just want to be able to plug one cable in and charge it like I do now, having to remove the seat and disconnect cables etc before putting chargers on each battery would be really frustrating.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts