lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #21
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Need some advice on a 1986 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
I have a torque spring and mine doesn't shudder. You have the old-style 1984-1987.5 drive/driven clutch setup, I've heard they can be problematic. If one of your clutches is the issue, I'd convert both clutches to the '88-up style. They are a better design. But you do have to get both, the new style clutches move the belt closer to the motor.

Put the cart in maintenance mode and run the motor. Watch the clutches and make sure the belt is moving up and down the sheaves smoothly as you gas it.

My cart will do 20mph even with 22" tires on it. You'll need to adjust or remove the governor to get that.
Thanks for all of the info! How do ou put it in Maintenance mode?

There is also a hose coming off the bottom of the motor that comes up and goes no where and has a bolt in it....I have no idea where it goes
89GatorClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #22
iKAB
Gone Wild
Club Car

That probibly the vent line that was disconnected from the carb.
iKAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #23
iKAB
Gone Wild
Club Car

not sure about your car but on my cart there is a small plastic knob on the back of the f/r lever, you pull it out and turn it until if falls back into place, that will let the cart start in neutral.
iKAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #24
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKAB View Post
hmm it is connected to what looks like a oil pan, then comes up and has a screw in the tub to cap it off. I will take a pic in the AM
Old 03-18-2013, 05:57 AM   #25
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89GatorClub View Post
Thanks for all of the info! How do ou put it in Maintenance mode?
To put it in maintenance mode there is a spring-loaded yellow plastic cam on the backside of the shifter (under the seat). Pull the cam out slightly and turn it 180 degrees and it will snap back into position. Once in maintenance mode the cart will only start and run in neutral. It just changes the orientation of the cam tabs so that you can run the motor without the cart moving.

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:00 AM   #26
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
There is also a hose coming off the bottom of the motor that comes up and goes no where and has a bolt in it....I have no idea where it goes
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKAB View Post
No, the vent line is not hooked up to anything. The hose just vents down at the ground.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:09 AM   #27
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
hmm it is connected to what looks like a oil pan, then comes up and has a screw in the tub to cap it off. I will take a pic in the AM
Without seeing pics, it sounds like it could be the pulse line from the crankcase for the stock vacuum fuel pump. Is this cart running an electric fuel pump? If it is, that would explain why the hose is plugged off.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #28
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

Quote:
How fast are these puppies suppose to run? I think this one might hit 11-12 mph. My electric cart smokes it.
A stock cart that hasn't had any adjustments made to the govenor should run no faster than 13mph. There is some sort of law/regulation on the books that mandates that as the top speed. With that being said, it's an older cart and who's to say what's been messed with or what's worn out.

First thing to check would be your clutches. At a minimum take an air gun and blow the dust out of the internals as much as you can (not sure how much access you have, snowmobile clutches are much more open than most of the cart clutches I've seen). Then, as others have said, put the cart in maintenance mode and watch the clutches run. The belt should run near the top of the primary clutch when you are at full speed. If it isn't shifting out all the way you will lose some of your top end speed. Speaking of the belt, if the belt on there is old you may want to replace it before checking things out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
My cart will do 20mph even with 22" tires on it. You'll need to adjust or remove the governor to get that.
Your cart should be faster than his on the top end because of the bigger tires, not despite them. Taller tires will give you more top end speed but will take away your low end grunt. The change is based on the way the tire height affects the "working" ratio of the rear end.
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #29
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

thanks for the info and yep that worked for maint mode, and the clutches are working fine. 1st layer of cleaning out of the way and I have found the 2 reasons the brakes don't work. One they are out of adjustment/wrong cable, and the other there was 15 pounds of mud inside. I took a few more pics, I have a bit of work ahead.

This is the mysterious hose that comes out from the bottom of the motor just below the card on the drivers side

Suspension that will have to be fixed

and here is the electrical box

Old 03-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #30
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Do you have a pic of the place where that plugged hose attaches to the motor? Just seeing the hose poking up from behind the air cleaner doesn't really confirm anything.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car