lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2015, 07:15 PM   #1
TOPDOGJIM
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default What Would You Do Repair Question

I try to follow the question guidelines but mine never seem to quit fit any searchable answers. I purchased a 1995 DS for $1350 with a newer battery, rear seats, A/G, tune up, oil changed and a new roof. Within the first mile it came within a minute of burning up. A pin hole in the muffler shoot straight up and burned the plastic and charred the wood under the seat. I got a quote of $350.00 for a new muffler but put one in myself for $218.00. (all of 15 minutes). Anyways it will not start, battery is charged and I did find a ground copper ground wire broke that I replaced.
The local on-site repair man has given me a quote of $350.00 to fix it. He will not tell me what is wrong, just that the A/G (though new) was put in wrong and melted some wires. Seems odd that it ran when I bought it (private sale out of state). It also ran good (not a speed demon) before it burned up. I bought this cart because it seemed everything was updated and needed nothing. (except a muffler I guess - looking back). I did change both gas filters and drained all the gas out (saw some bugs) and replaced it with fresh gas (before the first run)
It is not like I'm going to do any more of my own work, just hate to give someone a check when the repair is top secret. Trust me I'm far from a fix-it-guy so his job is secure. The muffler was done to get it back on the road without waiting to have him do it. That did not work out. Thanks for reading along. (I have been fortunate to have a friend lend me a spare cart for the rest of the season)
TOPDOGJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-31-2015, 08:02 PM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: What Would You Do Repair Question

Here's a question....
Can you visibly see burnt wires?
If it turns over, it could be a $20 ignitor,
or the S/G is spinning the wrong rotation....

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:15 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

I would take a good look at the starter generator and make sure that the wires are connected to the correct posts. Somebody around here should have a diagram of a counter clockwise setup. Check the connections. If everything looks good, it may not be too far fetched to place the blame on the voltage regulator. I've seen it numerous times where the voltage regulator will fail and allow much more than the normal charging voltage to enter the electrical system. Voltage can be checked at the battery while running. However, you may have already damaged your starter generator from the excess voltage. If you can't get the starter generator to work and you end up replacing it, check the voltage at the battery while the engine is running to ensure that the voltage regulator is operating properly.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:10 PM   #4
Iceberg57
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

fried my SG with a bad regulator once. $30 regulator smokes a $300 SG. wont hurt to check it anyway
Iceberg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:29 PM   #5
TOPDOGJIM
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
Here's a question....
Can you visibly see burnt wires?
If it turns over, it could be a $20 ignitor,
or the S/G is spinning the wrong rotation....

Some bad photo's of what I could see. the white wire on the S/G is melted but also was very loose. the other wire covered was slightly melted as well. The unit seems new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (187.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (136.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (115.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-05-2015, 02:48 AM   #6
helix149
Not Yet Wild

Tighten everything up. Loose wires will cook off sometimes and can fry a S/G. Check your rotation and drain the carb bowl. For gods sake find another repair guy. I would never use a repair guy that wont tell me whats wrong. He at least should have offered to tell you the issue for a small say 20-30 dollar assessment fee. Their time is worth something but refusing to tell you what seems to be an obvious issue to them sounds shady as hell to me.
helix149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:33 AM   #7
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

I couldn't have said that better!

I suppose I should get this out of the way right away...
When you say "it won't start"... does that mean the engine turns over, but won't run?
or, the engine won't turn over at all?

And before you (or a mechanically inclined friend) tighten the wires on the S/G,
Disconnect the battery!

Check the location of the wires on the S/G:
(per a 95/96 CC manual)

Large White - to F2
Yellow - to DF
Black - A2 to F1 on the S/G
Braided - A1 to frame ground

And when the wire locations are confirmed... Use 2 wrenches to tighten the wires to the studs!
If you don't... the stud may twist, and you'll ruin the S/G!

Old 09-05-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
TOPDOGJIM
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
I couldn't have said that better!

I suppose I should get this out of the way right away...
When you say "it won't start"... does that mean the engine turns over, but won't run?
or, the engine won't turn over at all?

And before you (or a mechanically inclined friend) tighten the wires on the S/G,
Disconnect the battery!

Check the location of the wires on the S/G:
(per a 95/96 CC manual)

Large White - to F2
Yellow - to DF
Black - A2 to F1 on the S/G
Braided - A1 to frame ground

And when the wire locations are confirmed... Use 2 wrenches to tighten the wires to the studs!
If you don't... the stud may twist, and you'll ruin the S/G!

I confirmed the wiring was correct. Oh I forgot, it will not start. Has not started since the muffler Leak almost burned the cart up. No sounds, no nothing. I did find a broken ground wire from the bottom of the vr clipped off that I fixed. The large white wire was loose that I tighted properly. I checked every wire I could find/see.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:34 AM   #9
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Since it won't even turn over...
I'd start out by checking the 10 amp fuse in the Electrical Components Box!

084.JPG
Old 09-05-2015, 03:29 PM   #10
TOPDOGJIM
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

10 amp fuse, looked good, replaced anyways. No luck.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car