lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-04-2015, 07:02 PM   #1
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Fe350 Drive clutch help?

Hi guys, Newb to the world of golf carts here, but I'm a mechanic and no stranger to tinkering with internal combustion.

I've recently started a job for a business that owns about a dozen golf carts. They all seem to be late 80's to mid 90's models, with the exception of one 08, though I haven't checked serial numbers on all of them yet.

Anyway, reason Im here: We have two Transporter carts. Both 97 models. One 4 seat, one 6 seat. They both have the FE350 engine, both have the same issue. You start the engine, put your foot on the accelerator and it revs wayyyyy up then slams into "gear" spins the tires for a second then stalls, unless you keep your foot planted on the pedal, then it takes off spinning wheels and tries to throw you out of the seat. Trying to reverse them out of their parking spots was a challenge. Ended up just pushing one.
I know this cant be good for the transmission.

Seems like a drive clutch problem? There is some wear on the cone faces of the clutches, but no grooves. Belts are not in great shape, there is some wiggle room between the belt and the clutch cones at the rest position.
Once driving, they react smoothly to changes in throttle and changes in incline. We have some pretty steep hills here and the transition from flat to up-hill or downhill is nice and smooth, and they both pull pretty strong uphill.

Im seeing prices of around $450-500 for a drive clutch for these. I'd rather not spend a G and still have the problem. Is the drive clutch something that can be taken apart and cleaned up? Pivots lubricated? Or is this a replace only kinda thing? I'm a "take it apart and see whats broke" kinda person, but I don't want to go pulling apart a $450 part just to find out I can't put it back together.

I have a few months to figure these things out, but I also have 10 other carts to service as well. I figure I'll get new belts for them first since they need them anyway. All of the carts could use a general tune-up anyway. Oil changes, filters, belts, spark plugs, etc. I need to get them winterized soon, and the problem carts I'll work on as time allows. Hoping to have them all in decent running shape by early April.

Any ideas?
Thanks for any help!
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-04-2015, 07:26 PM   #2
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Fe350 Drive clutch help?

If the drive belts are worn down (width wise) & cracked you will definitely see a big improvement with new belts,it may not completely solve the issue but it's a step in the right direction

Also to BGW
big mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Thanks! Certainly gonna give that a shot first.
I see there are a few threads here where people have the covers removed from the drive clutch, so I'm going to probably pull one of them apart and see what's going on. Then maybe take a shot at a rebuild since rebuild kits are ~$100.

It looks like most rebuild kits will work for either a 290 or a 350 clutch. So what's the difference in the rest of the clutch that makes a 350 so much more expensive?
Old 12-05-2015, 11:56 AM   #4
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Tom @ Cart Parts Plus is a Club Car clutch guru and will be glad to help you figure it all out ,give him a call @ 888-861-2640;he is also a sponsor of this great web site as well
big mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:30 AM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

All you really need is a "button kit" and a clutch puller! (thrust washer would be recommended also!)

When we repaired my buddies 94 DS (drive clutch "clanging" at start up)
I noticed that all 3 buttons originally had button springs under them, and the kit I ordered from CPP only had 1 spring,
I called Tom about that, and he said that I only needed 1 button spring...
Club Car used 3 button springs in earlier years, then realized that when the buttons start to wear,
the drive sheave will stick causing a "late engagement" at start up. (your symptom)

So we used the only button spring that came in the kit, (can be placed under any one of the buttons)
and let the other 2 buttons "flop around" and it shifted perfectly!

Hope this helps!

lockman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:24 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Thanks! After searching around and reading some other threads I was starting to think it should be something like worn/sticky clutch buttons. Good to hear someone say it rather than me guessing!
The two in this thread don't make any noise that I'm aware, but we do have a couple other carts that make a loud Tink-tink-Tink kinda sound when they start. Probably worn buttons on those too huh?

I see I'll have to order or make a clutch puller. Got a bunch of clutches to service now!!

I checked out CPP. Thanks for the link! I'll give them a call this week!
Old 12-07-2015, 04:36 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

New belts on, made a little difference, but not much. Clutch engagement is still way too harsh.
So I tore into the 6 seater today. Got both clutches off of it. Buttons on the driven clutch are almost metal to metal and the ramps on the crown-looking thing are eaten up bad. Those will have to be replaced.
The drive clutch I was able to pop off with a few gentle hammer taps and a block of wood. A huge pile of dirt and dust fell out of it when I pulled it out from under the cart. Gonna pull the cover off that tomorrow and see what's worn out in there.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:48 AM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Do you have Maintenance/Service, and Illustrated Parts Manuals?
Old 12-08-2015, 01:03 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I do not. Where's the best place to get one?
Old 12-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #10
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Here ya' go!

The 99 IPL should be about the same as your 97... not a lot of changes until 2000.5

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1997 club car manual.pdf (7.70 MB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf 99Villager6IPL.pdf (13.50 MB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car