lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2015, 03:38 PM   #1
mrlmd
Gone Wild

Default Transmission problem

My 2001 Club Car Fairway Villager has been making a noise for months now and is getting louder each time I use it. It sounded like a rattling at first, and other than that it comes from underneath the cart, I have been unable to locate its' source. The engine runs great, the valves are in spec, I had changed the engine and diff oil not too long ago. It's quiet at low speed, gets louder with increased speed or engine rpm. It's not any wheel bearing, there is no slop or noise on rotating any of the wheels except a very very light rear brake drag. It makes a noise when the cart is running, even in maintenance mode with it not moving. Today I picked up the cart using straps (a boat lift underneath my house), and then turned it on and put it in both forward and reverse with the wheels off the ground. In each case the right-hand rear wheel turns forward or reverse with the cart in the appropriate gear, the left wheel does not, unless you start to rotate it then it seems to weakly catch and rotate. I assume the transmission will drive both rear wheels, not just one, like some front wheel drive Japanese cars used to do. Does anybody have any idea what this could be and anybody have any experience with taking apart the transmission/rear differential and what could have failed, and how easy and/or expensive this is to repair (or replace)?
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2015, 02:17 PM   #2
mrlmd
Gone Wild

Default Re: Transmission problem

I saw that, thanks. Just wanted to know if anyone had taken theirs apart and what could have broken/worn out inside, and any advice on how to remove it to work on it.
I may have to either bite the bullet and bring it to a place to fix it, or take it apart myself and look inside. Or I can keep riding it 'till it totally craps out or self-destructs, then take it apart.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:12 PM   #3
chevydmax6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Have u taken the drive belt off and ran the motor to check the clutches for any problems before tearing the rearend out
chevydmax6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:50 PM   #4
mrlmd
Gone Wild

If the clutch wasn't working, then wouldn't there be no power to the rear wheels? The cart drives fine in forward and reverse, and doesn't slip at all, even though it seems to be driven by only the right rear wheel. Why would only one wheel spin or be driven and not both, if there were not a problem inside the trans or differential?
Old 11-30-2015, 05:15 PM   #5
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

Try holding the right tire and see if the left spins
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:03 PM   #6
chevydmax6
Gone Wild

Club Car

These rears are not posi only one wheel peel
All the people that have the big block motor putting out a lot of power have never had any problems with the rears I am just try to help u out and save u time and money if u change the rear and that don't fix the problem
Old 11-30-2015, 09:04 PM   #7
chevydmax6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Have u checked the breaks maybe one side is hung up and making the noise
Old 11-30-2015, 09:21 PM   #8
chevydmax6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydmax6 View Post
Have u checked the breaks maybe one side is hung up and making the noise
I just reread your first post and I would checkb out the 2 clutches for any wear and play
Where u say it does it in Maintaince mode that means rear was in neutral so it was not turning the parts in the rearend
Old 11-30-2015, 10:09 PM   #9
ericandrews331@msn.com
Gone Wild

when you guys speak of maint mode does that mean it was just in neutral?
ericandrews331@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:18 PM   #10
mrlmd
Gone Wild

So maybe my trans and diff are OK, but for sure my left rear brake is dragging and that could be why when I pick up the cart and run it in gear, the left wheel does not turn.
I looked at adjusting the rear brakes but my cart (2001) does not have that adjuster screw at 12 o'clock on the inside of the hub to separate or pull together the upper ends of the brake pads, all my brakes have to adjust the pads is the star wheel on the bottom. The brake is definitely dragging on the hub, I can hear it scraping and the wheel is hard to turn. How do I adjust these brake shoes to make them a little looser? Is that adjustment somewhere in the cable? And is there anyway to clean all these joints other than by removing the brake pads?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car