lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2015, 08:43 AM   #1
Mdslawn85
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 97 Club car belt slipping

Hey everyone I just purchased a buddy of mines 97 club car. He picked it up from the shop right before I bought the cart and had a lot of new parts installed on the cart. Upgraded to a 350 motor new driven clutch new belt. Well at first it would run fine on flat ground but going up a hill it would come to a stop and squeal . I took it to the club car dealership and they said that whoever installed the motor put some spacers behind the motor to space it forward( the ones needed for a 290 motor) they said that the clutches looked fine and the belt was fine. Anyway they said that they would have to take the motor out or move it forward to get the spacers out that they were not needed for the 350 motor. They said the drive belt was extremely too tight. Instead of letting them do the work. I took it back to the shop who installed the motor which is an ezgo dealer and told them the information since my buddy had spent over 2000 getting all the new motor and parts installed. . A week later I called to follow up and see what they found out and they said that they had installed a new drive clutch and a new belt that was my problem 560 dollars. I would have been fine with that if it would have fixed my problem. The cart will still Just not climb a hill like I think it's supposed to. It doesn't really squeal like it used to but feels like it has no torque and you can let off of the throttle and it feels like the belt will grab a little bit better. Not really sure what is going on . I also got in some very light mud in ruts and could not even get the cart to turn the tires. Any help would be much appreciated .
Mdslawn85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-05-2015, 07:39 AM   #2
carguybill
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 97 Club car belt slipping

Wow! I can only imagine your frustration. FWIW, if it were me, I'd avoid the ezgo dealer except to have them give me back the parts removed, and take it to the Club Car dealer.
carguybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:48 AM   #3
Mdslawn85
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I took the cart to another dealer they work on Yamaha and club car they said that the wrong spacers behind the motor were used when upgrading from the 290 to 350 motor and had the motor spaced either too forward or backwards don't remember which one they said. Is this a possibility or are they pulling my leg.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:03 AM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Check the distance of the center to center of the drive and driven clutches... it should be 9 5/8"
and I'm sure that the spacers between the engine and pan/transaxle couldn't be that much of a difference!

The only thing I can think of is that it may have the wrong drive belt on it!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:53 AM   #5
Mdslawn85
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Alright I will measure that thanks for the input. I just ordered a severe duty belt for the cart and it has a blue spring in the back clutch . They said that was an upgraded torque spring . Is that correct? Or does color not really tell the strength of the spring
Old 12-12-2015, 11:04 AM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

I'm not sure about the colors of the torque spring, Cart Parts Plus has a blue torque spring,
but every manufacturer might chose their own colors...
Old 12-12-2015, 06:52 PM   #7
Mdslawn85
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'm about to measure these clutches in just a min but just got a chance to try cart out. Seems like the cart is losing way too much rpm going up a hill or through any mud. Got stuck in some mud going forward because the cart could not turn the tires over. I can put cart in reverse and it will spin the heck out of the tires. Something is just not adding up with the cart. It's really frustrating me. I'll post measurements on clutches in about 10 min
Old 12-12-2015, 07:03 PM   #8
Mdslawn85
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Alright the clutches are right at the measurement that was stated 9 5/8
I have a video on my iPhone of the clutches working in maintenance mode . How can I post these or could I email them to someone that knows what they would be looking at
Old 12-12-2015, 08:03 PM   #9
Mdslawn85
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Old 12-12-2015, 10:56 PM   #10
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Your drive belt is engaging too soon, it may be to short, and I bet it's giving you minimal amount of torque at lower rpm's,
Whats the part number on the drive belt?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car