lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2017, 08:15 PM   #1
dschaffer
Not Yet Wild

Default To build or to buy?

Hello all. I am new to golf carts and have definitely got the bug. I'm pretty sure I have narrowed it down to a gas Yamaha. First I should tell you my plans of use. This cart will mostly be for driving around the many two tracks near my house. It might occasionally be used for light yard work but the big reason I think I am choosing a gas Yamaha is for snow plowing in the winter. We have a small driveway so it won't get too abused but after checking out plowmems site, I feel like maybe the g22 is the way to go. I am wide open for suggestions but I plan on either buying or building a plan Jane cart. What that means is that I have very little interest in the looks of the thing. My priorities are practical use, longevity, a back seat and a little speed. I'm thinking a 3" lift with 10" wheels and bigger tires should serve me well. It sounds like I will need the plowmen engine/clutch mods if I really want to push some snow. Now for the question of to build or to buy, I definitely can not afford one of plowmens set ups right now. What I could likely afford is an already lifted rig that doesn't have any other mods. Am I better off paying $4000 for a lifted fancy "looking" rig and modifying the engine/clutch and adding a plow as money allows? Or should I pay closer to $2500 for a plan Jane cart with no mods and build it myself? Also, what should I be looking for in a used cart? Thanks in advance.
dschaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2017, 09:20 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: To build or to buy?

Here old carts are not cheap, so its better to get newer for more money....because they are a LOT newer and only some more cost. But hey a G22 is not that old in cart years. I'd look for wear in a cart, wear on the pedals and floor, seat, etc. Overall condition, how it was cared for, oil level, how clean is it, etc, it all gives you clues.

Do you want a lifted one, well how well do you like to spin wrenches is the key to that question. Putting a lift on is not that hard if you have done any mechanical work and can be done anyway with help from people here. You can make the cart the way you want if you do it. But hey some people rather not.

Looks are your department but you may consider that in 22 tires you have a lot more choice and typically you need a 4" lift to clear them, though depends on the lift. 22 atv tires you can get 6ply tires they are far more durable than 2 ply lawn tires, far more treads available. Just saying you are pretty unlikely to buy another set of rims/tires any time soon, they don't wear out on carts unless you road ride a lot.

You can toss a umax spring in there, you can get the HD kevlar belt, with those two it will move out a lot better than stock spring. When you lift it that will slow it down out of the hole, reduce power at low speeds, need to mod the clutch to get it back. A cut sheave would be great for plowing it actually lowers the low gear and very nice at under 5mph and getting moving or towing. Cpp has them, they cost little more, you can cut yours too. The HD belt will give some of those benefits but not all, because its little wider. Umax spring is like $15. You can put the plowmans stuff in later.

Last thing I would say is shop a lot to find a deal, unless you are going to a dealer and then make sure its got warranty and serviced and all that for what you pay.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:49 PM   #3
dschaffer
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Here old carts are not cheap, so its better to get newer for more money....because they are a LOT newer and only some more cost. But hey a G22 is not that old in cart years. I'd look for wear in a cart, wear on the pedals and floor, seat, etc. Overall condition, how it was cared for, oil level, how clean is it, etc, it all gives you clues.

Do you want a lifted one, well how well do you like to spin wrenches is the key to that question. Putting a lift on is not that hard if you have done any mechanical work and can be done anyway with help from people here. You can make the cart the way you want if you do it. But hey some people rather not.

Looks are your department but you may consider that in 22 tires you have a lot more choice and typically you need a 4" lift to clear them, though depends on the lift. 22 atv tires you can get 6ply tires they are far more durable than 2 ply lawn tires, far more treads available. Just saying you are pretty unlikely to buy another set of rims/tires any time soon, they don't wear out on carts unless you road ride a lot.

You can toss a umax spring in there, you can get the HD kevlar belt, with those two it will move out a lot better than stock spring. When you lift it that will slow it down out of the hole, reduce power at low speeds, need to mod the clutch to get it back. A cut sheave would be great for plowing it actually lowers the low gear and very nice at under 5mph and getting moving or towing. Cpp has them, they cost little more, you can cut yours too. The HD belt will give some of those benefits but not all, because its little wider. Umax spring is like $15. You can put the plowmans stuff in later.

Last thing I would say is shop a lot to find a deal, unless you are going to a dealer and then make sure its got warranty and serviced and all that for what you pay.
Thanks for the reply. I'm open to newer carts. My hope is for the strongest most reliable cart they make. I don't trust too new if models as they don't have the test of time on their side. Definitely open to suggestions.
I'd say my wrenching ability is a little above average. I don't have much experience with small engines but I do most of the maintenance on our vehicles.
Is there a model I should stay away from? A motor or model/year that is better then others that I should look for?
I'm starting to think I should find a good stock cart and go from there.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:26 AM   #4
dschaffer
Not Yet Wild

Here is a link to some of the carts in my area. https://nmi.craigslist.org/search/ss...cart&sort=date
The yamahas seem to be the most expensive. It looks like I could get a stock 07 Yamaha for the same price as a stock 14 EZgo. Around $2800. Maybe I should reconsider brand?
Old 05-04-2017, 09:14 AM   #5
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

I think I'd try to find a stock G16 or G22 and go from there. Build it yourself the way that you want it. And you can't beat the stuff from Plowmans...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:19 AM   #6
QB100
Gone Wild

Yamaha

i got my 2011 drive in farwell with back seat, lights, windshield for 4K. ( I installed them all myself)

I got lucky as a bunch of drives from a golf course showed up day before I got there so I got to pick..

I found my tires on craigslist for a good deal, I put the jakes lift on myself and its not too bad.

it's spring and the price tends to go up around here as demand seems to increase..

just keep looking, good luck
QB100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:30 AM   #7
QB100
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB100 View Post
i got my 2011 drive in farwell with back seat, lights, windshield for 4K. ( I installed them all myself)

I got lucky as a bunch of drives from a golf course showed up day before I got there so I got to pick..

I found my tires on craigslist for a good deal, I put the jakes lift on myself and its not too bad.

it's spring and the price tends to go up around here as demand seems to increase..

just keep looking, good luck

noticed he has 2014 gas drives starting at 2500 in farwell.. that's a good deal if they are in good condition... you can estimate the rest of the stuff.. lift kit $350, tires/rims $500-1000 (depending on preference) rear seat $150, lights $150, windshield $125
QB100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:20 AM   #8
dschaffer
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB100 View Post
noticed he has 2014 gas drives starting at 2500 in farwell.. that's a good deal if they are in good condition... you can estimate the rest of the stuff.. lift kit $350, tires/rims $500-1000 (depending on preference) rear seat $150, lights $150, windshield $125
Thanks for the info. When you say drives are you referring to gas motors? Where in Michigan are you at? I'm around 45 minutes southwest of Traverse City.
Have you done any engine mods?
I was warned to not get carts that came from the south as they have likely been heavily used. I'all ask the the Farwell dealer where he gets the carts from.
Thanks
I just looked at his add and saw 2007's for $2500 but no 2014's.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:34 AM   #9
icyveins
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Yamaha "drive" is the cart. I have a 09 drive(g29) with plowmans clutch setup/airbox mods/carb mods/ on 22 inch 6" lift with a plow and its and animal. I put 5 bags of salt on the rear to help with traction. here is a link

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...plow-plow.html
icyveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:42 PM   #10
dschaffer
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyveins View Post
Yamaha "drive" is the cart. I have a 09 drive(g29) with plowmans clutch setup/airbox mods/carb mods/ on 22 inch 6" lift with a plow and its and animal. I put 5 bags of salt on the rear to help with traction. here is a link

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...plow-plow.html
That's Awesome! You've done pretty much exactly what I want to do. I was thinking just a 3" lift as I've heard they can get tippy while cornering at high speeds if you go much higher. Did you get your cart from plowmans or just the mods?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha