lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-13-2019, 02:26 PM   #1
swb713
Gone Wild

Columbia

Question What to look for when buying parts for a LEAF LI conversion?

I am looking for some advice into what all I should be looking into and possibly some questions I should be asking when searching out parts for a LEAF LI conversion. I have a 2007 Columbia ParCar with 500 amp Alltrax Controller.
Looking to go with the 14 module setup similar to what MCJEFE did in his "DIY 101 - 14 cell Nissan Leaf lithium pack"

Questions that I have at first is:

Is there much difference in purchasing Gen 1 or Gen 2 modules?

Is Gen 2 that much better than Gen 1?

I am also confused when I look at sites like TechDirect and they have modules with different Kwh ratings. Why is this? (i.e. Nissan Leaf Battery G2 Module Lithium Ion 14 kWh 500 watt per module Lot of 28; Nissan Leaf Battery G2 Module Lithium Ion 14 kWh 500 watt per module Lot of 16. ...)

Thanks in advance for your help and support on this.
swb713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-14-2019, 06:50 AM   #2
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: What to look for when buying parts for a LEAF LI conversion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swb713 View Post
I am looking for some advice into what all I should be looking into and possibly some questions I should be asking when searching out parts for a LEAF LI conversion. I have a 2007 Columbia ParCar with 500 amp Alltrax Controller.
Looking to go with the 14 module setup similar to what MCJEFE did in his "DIY 101 - 14 cell Nissan Leaf lithium pack"
I referred to that thread a lot when I did my lithium build. Helped me a lot! Here is another thread I learned a lot from: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lithi...ium-build.html I believe the differences between Gen 1,2 and 3 modules are discussed in that thread.
Questions that I have at first is:

Is there much difference in purchasing Gen 1 or Gen 2 modules?
If my memory is correct, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken. The main difference is the outer shell. Gen 1 modules had some cooling issues. The Gen 2 casing allows for better cooling.

Is Gen 2 that much better than Gen 1?

I am also confused when I look at sites like TechDirect and they have modules with different Kwh ratings. Why is this? (i.e. Nissan Leaf Battery G2 Module Lithium Ion 14 kWh 500 watt per module Lot of 28; Nissan Leaf Battery G2 Module Lithium Ion 14 kWh 500 watt per module Lot of 16. ...)

Thanks in advance for your help and support on this.
It is best to get modules that have been tested and give state of batteries now. I'll let the gurus guide you on that, as I am not a guru, just know basics.

There are a number of BMSs to choose from. I went with a ZEVA because there are others on here who have shared their builds with it and were able to offer experienced advice. There are also some folks recently that have been installing Chargery BMSs.

I have a build thread on here, but it jumps around between lithium, gas to electric swap, rebuild and aftermarket upgrades. It gets confusing if you are just looking for specific information.

Hope this helps. I'll answer any questions I can. I'm sure the gurus will be along soon to add information.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post
It is best to get modules that have been tested and give state of batteries now.
What he said...

Lithium does degrade *very slowly* over time with proper use.
If abused, it can degrade quickly.

So if you don't know the capacity of the battery then it's a crap-shoot.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:50 PM   #4
swb713
Gone Wild

Columbia

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input.
I have found a couple more threads after posting this that has also shed some light on this.
Just like many on here, just trying to get as much info I can before spending money.

I am still getting my cart up and running. It is a work in progress that I finally got home so I can spend some time with it. Changing it from a stock Columbia ParCar Eagle with a bad controller to a completely rewired (like the Club Car IQ) ParCar with 400amp Contactor, Alltrax XCT48500-IQ. Getting stumped by a few things, but trying to work through it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2019, 07:33 AM   #5
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Your basically doing what I did. I swapped out the gas drive line to a 2003 DS IQ wiring harness and the rest you can see in my siggy. Let me know if you have any questions, I'll help where I can.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:08 PM   #6
swb713
Gone Wild

Columbia

Unhappy Re: What to look for when buying parts for a LEAF LI conversion?

I was working on it on Saturday and noticed that had a bad micro switch for the 'Foot Switch' on my throttle. went down and got a replacement for that. Now I think the coil on my main contactor is bad. A week ago I was hearing it click on and off, but now i get nothing from it. I pulled it off to test it on my workbench, attempted to hook it up to a 12v test battery, and it blew my diode (all over the workbench).
Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can go about testing this contacor and coil to see if it truly is bad before dropping more $$ on something that is still good?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190817_161118.jpg (125.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190819_095559.jpg (119.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190819_095603.jpg (111.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190819_095942.jpg (140.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-19-2019, 12:30 PM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The diode would have exploded if you applied the negative power lead to the side with the band (cathode).

What is the resistance of the Solenoid coil?

Are the little contacts on the bottom of the Solenoid making contact prior to applying power?

You may need close to 36v to make the solenoid engage but the coil resistance will help determine if the Solenoid is good.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:24 PM   #8
swb713
Gone Wild

Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The diode would have exploded if you applied the negative power lead to the side with the band (cathode).

What is the resistance of the Solenoid coil?

Are the little contacts on the bottom of the Solenoid making contact prior to applying power?

You may need close to 36v to make the solenoid engage but the coil resistance will help determine if the Solenoid is good.
The band on the diode was on the positive side.

Resistance is about 17.1 ohms.

Yes ... the contacts on bottom of the solenoid are making contact.
When i press down on the contactor, they do separate.

Does this sound correct?

I may have to try it with 36v if everything sounds right. I am a RV technician (at least last couple of years), so finding the extra batteries (at least for testing) is not hard to do. I did bring it in to work with me to test and ask questions with some of my fellow techs up here with more electrical experience than I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190819_115007.jpg (140.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That first coil on the Solenoid pulls pretty hard and that is why the low resistance.

If You separate the small contacts on the bottom of the Solenoid, the resistance should increase as the second coil gets inline and provides the lower current needed to keep the main contacts closed.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #10
swb713
Gone Wild

Columbia

Well .... the Solenoid tested out good. I guess 12v just wasn't enough to pull the contactor in. I tried it with 36v and it sucked it in just like it was supposed to.

Now just replace the diode and try it on the cart again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!