lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2009, 04:15 AM   #21
hllon4whls
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: My 86 Re-build

Thanks Groves.

I've been lurking for a while and finally got an answer about 48v on resistors just recently. I will not be going 48v.

The wiper arm and resistor pack cost me about $120 together. I immediately wanted to go controller when I saw that I needed to buy the other parts, but was put off by the price of a good controller.

Its hard to believe that in the 80's controller technology was not available. A wasteful voltage divider was all that was practical for the cart manufacturers.

A buddy and I split a cart years ago. We used it in the pits for drag racing (we had cars, we didn't officially race the cart). I assume it was a resistor cart. It worked fine, so we never even lifted the seat. I was intimidated by the magic that operated that cart (club car). I never thought about it before you mentioned it, but we went WOT all the time. From start to stop. I never noticed anything getting warm. But again we operated in the most efficient scenario - WOT.

Thanks again to all for the feedback.
hllon4whls is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2009, 05:46 AM   #22
lvaubel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hllon4whls View Post
How did you get a picture of my cart? J/K. Thanks for the location. Thats close enough to where I have mine. I'll work out something a little different than stock but still acceptable to all of you OSHA and product engineering types. :)

I appreciate all of the feedback. I also purchased my last batch of parts from one of the sponsers. Great communication so far.
wasnt trying to tell you that what you where doing was wrong, I build my toys the way I want to too. I should have worded my reply differently .... just trying to explain why ez go may have desighned the setup the way they did.
P.S. Your right , I am a supervising engineer that has to deal with osha on a regular basis
lvaubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:13 AM   #23
hllon4whls
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvaubel View Post
wasnt trying to tell you that what you where doing was wrong, I build my toys the way I want to too. I should have worded my reply differently .... just trying to explain why ez go may have desighned the setup the way they did.
P.S. Your right , I am a supervising engineer that has to deal with osha on a regular basis

Nope, I appreciated the feedback. I am an operations manager for a huge telecommunications company. I deal with the regs too, which why I referenced it in jest.

Lot of cool, helpful people on this board and a plenty of posting traffic. A guy could lose himself in this place.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #24
hllon4whls
Not Yet Wild

UGGG! I bought the wrong brake shoes. There are a set for older 86.5 and a set for newer than 86.5. I bought the 4254 from 3R and I think I need the 4208. I thought those were 80 for a set of 2. I didnt realize I was only buying 2 and that the 4208 price was for 8. Nothing negative about 3r, Just wasn't expecting that type of packaging.

If I get close enough to driving the cart this week, I am going to glue the shoes back on the backing plate until I can get some new ones in.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:46 AM   #25
iaefebs
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
UGGG! I bought the wrong brake shoes. There are a set for older 86.5 and a set for newer than 86.5. I bought the 4254 from 3R and I think I need the 4208. I thought those were 80 for a set of 2. I didnt realize I was only buying 2 and that the 4208 price was for 8. Nothing negative about 3r, Just wasn't expecting that type of packaging.

If I get close enough to driving the cart this week, I am going to glue the shoes back on the backing plate until I can get some new ones in.
Happy 4th to you hllon4, Yes their was a change in 1988 to self adjust brakes. Prior to 88 the brakes were manual adjusters and used a different shoe. The brake pads need to be replaced when worn to less then .040" Usually the most wear is seen at the bottom of the front shoe and top of the rear shoe. I don't have part numbers. Unless a previous owner changed the backing plate to self adjusters you would need the prior to 1988 pad.
iaefebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:08 AM   #26
hllon4whls
Not Yet Wild

These do not have automotive style auto adjusters. The only difference between the shoes is the one I have is longer. I knew there was a difference but I didn't know why.

Happy 4th to you and everyone too.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:23 AM   #27
iaefebs
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
These do not have automotive style auto adjusters. The only difference between the shoes is the one I have is longer. I knew there was a difference but I didn't know why.

Happy 4th to you and everyone too.
I was doing a online search for your shoes. I think some of the dealers have the wrong years listed. Some list the break point for the newer style starting in 86.5 I think through 1987 all the brake sets were manual adjusters with 1988 being the change. The older pads may be stamped with a J-10 the newer pads are sometimes stamped with a J-17. I think the difference in shoe length you are seeing is because of the different adjusters. The star wheel adjustment might take up more room and so the shoe is a little shorter?
Old 07-05-2009, 08:45 PM   #28
hllon4whls
Not Yet Wild

Some progress but nothing too exciting to report. Most of time spent was spent welding some body tabs on the outboard frame rails. I also cleaned up a few of my welds. Some of my overhead welds didnt look so good, so I tilted the frame on its nose which allowed easy access to the welds. I just ground off the slop and laid on a good solid bead. Most of my welds look pretty good. I learn a little more every time I weld.

...Then I primed and painted my rear springs.

...I painted the rest of the frame using the POR15. I used what I had, so I primed the rest of the frame with rustoleum primer. I concentrated the PORT15 on the rust and the battery area. The rest of the frame just needed some cleanup and some primer. I need to focus on getting the final finish on the frame so that I can start to put things back together.

I played around with one rim painting it black. It looks good from 5 or so feet away, but get close and you can see my lack of prep like you can in this photo. The previous owner painted the rims gold. Dont know why. If I keep these rims, I'll need to go down to the metal to get a good finish.

Hard to get motivated when its so **** hot; temp has been running 95+ with about the same humidity.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:08 PM   #29
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: My 86 Re-build

Lookin' good. Yes, it is HOT...
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #30
iaefebs
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaefebs View Post
I was doing a online search for your shoes. I think some of the dealers have the wrong years listed. Some list the break point for the newer style starting in 86.5 I think through 1987 all the brake sets were manual adjusters with 1988 being the change. The older pads may be stamped with a J-10 the newer pads are sometimes stamped with a J-17. I think the difference in shoe length you are seeing is because of the different adjusters. The star wheel adjustment might take up more room and so the shoe is a little shorter?
I just found this information. It helps clear up the confusion on the brake issue I had. Maybe....LOL... (I really have a oddball cart.) According to this picture the 1986.5 / 1987 carts used the j17 pads because of a change in the shoe expanders. My 1988 cart with the 1986.5 rear has the type of expander shown as 1980-1985 shoe expanders on it. I would like to hear from you on which type expander you have on your cart. You mention the different length shoes on the replacements you bought. I had two equal J10 (per side) pads on my cart with a 86.5 rear end.
[IMG][/IMG]
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO