lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2022, 08:49 AM   #1
kaiserbl
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery Charger recommendation for Li Battery Conversion

I was able to buy an '07 Par Car Eagle 48v golf cart on the cheap ($2000) and am in the process of converting the basically shot 8 x 6v (mostly 9yr old) Trojan T105 lead acid batteries to a Lithium Ion setup. After much research I went with BatteryEvo out of California where I was able to get 3 x 48v 30a batteries for just over $1,400 total after their 7% site discount and an Amazon Pay 5% rebate. Specs: 48V Lithium Ion 90 Ah 4.5 kWh NMC 360A Max. The previous owner had a nice Delta QiuQ 1000 onboard charger installed about 3-4 years ago when replacing several of the Trojans. This charger advertises as Lithium Ion compatible and I've found several YouTube videos detailing the process for manual algorithm change on the QiuQ 1000 to, presumably, switch it from lead-acid to lithium ion. The salesman at BatteryEvo said I probably don't even need to reprogram this unit. On another thread here, I see a suggestion to sell an inherited multi-purpose charger used and start over with a new Lithium Ion specific model. Can I get suggestions on whether the Delta QiuQ 1000 should work fine, reprogrammed or no, for my planned 3-battery parallel wired lithium ion setup? Thank you!
kaiserbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2022, 09:50 AM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery Charger recommendation for Li Battery Conversion

I would absolutely reprogram it to your needs. I get it, you can put a 65v power supply on it to charge and the BMS should stop the charge at the appropriate time, but then you have a single point of failure.

The reality is the charger should stop at the V you want and only if there is an imbalance issue or charger failure should the BMS kick in as a backup system.

If the QuiQ has a charge algorithm available that suits your needs I would have no issue using the QuiQ on my cart. I figure it's a lot better than the $50 silver box chargers you get from China.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 01:36 PM   #3
kaiserbl
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for taking the time to reply. The Delta Q1000 charger looks a good product so my inclination is to keep and it perhaps attempt the manual reprogramming
Old 02-28-2022, 04:55 PM   #4
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Reprogrammed for Lithium NMC, as opposed to LiFePO4 will be fine. Leaving it as is will not. The difference between NMC and LiFePO4 is the CV voltage. NMC has a maximum CV of 58.8v (14 x 4.2) and LiFePO4 58.4v (16 x 3.65).
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 09:02 AM   #5
kaiserbl
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for this great input...I will definitely be calling to speak with a Delta rep with my model # to ensure their lithium ion presets will safely charge these BatteryEvo 48v batteries.

Tags
delta qiuq 1000, par car eagle
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!