lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2022, 09:38 PM   #11
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Is it really not charging?

The DF is a shunt off one of the field coils in the starter. If you test for continuity to the other terminals and get none, it's because the DF field coil is open. It has no connection to the other coils in the motor. When the DF coil is open it can not produce any charge at all. The starter is bad and either needs to have the coil repaired, or it needs to be replaced.

12.1v is a dead battery. A fully charged 12v lead battery should be 12.6v And that seemingly small difference makes a huge difference in the overall service life of the battery. If you have a 12v charger you need to hook it up to the battery and charge it manually to get that thing back up to full charge again. Sulfate buildup on the plates is going to lead that battery to an early death.

When the unit is charging properly you should be getting approx 14.5v output when running at over 1,800 rpm.

I know it sucks to have to spend the money again, but call Revolution Golf Cars and order a starter from David.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2022, 02:53 PM   #12
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

I guess I will bite the bullet and order a starter...at $432. Yikes. Hope this one lasts more than 2 years.

The battery shows 12.4 and was new a month ago, but when it's running it only shows 12.16 across the terminals. I don't know if I was clear on that or not.
Nlb7928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 03:52 PM   #13
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

I finally decided to tear into the starter before ordering a new one. I was surprised to find strands of fiberglass behind the inspection cover. Then more inside. I couldn't figure it out so I pulled apart my last junk one.

My last junk one wouldn't turn over. This one wouldn't charge. I thought about swapping them around, but wasn't for sure they were compatible and thought it might blow up...I'm a little nervous around electronicals and making sure all the smoke stays in the right places.

I'm attaching the pictures because it's interesting to see how yhe one came apart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221211_131338.jpg (184.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20221211_133232.jpg (163.8 KB, 0 views)
Nlb7928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 05:15 PM   #14
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

They’re both junk. Maybe worth saving the pulley but the rest id just scrap. Get an oem one and be done with it.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 09:09 PM   #15
Ricks_club
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlb7928 View Post
I finally decided to tear into the starter before ordering a new one. I was surprised to find strands of fiberglass behind the inspection cover. Then more inside. I couldn't figure it out so I pulled apart my last junk one.

My last junk one wouldn't turn over. This one wouldn't charge. I thought about swapping them around, but wasn't for sure they were compatible and thought it might blow up...I'm a little nervous around electronicals and making sure all the smoke stays in the right places.

I'm attaching the pictures because it's interesting to see how yhe one came apart.
You said that one of the starter/generators would not rotate. When you took it apart, did your discover why it would not rotate ?

Richard
Ricks_club is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car