lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2023, 04:51 PM   #41
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Drop in lithium replacement for 48v Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
If you look at the logs that Dave posted, the motor current peaked at 392A, while the battery current peaked at only 220A. A 300A controller wouldn’t cut it in this situation and is why limiting the battery current doesn’t adversely affect the performance too much. The rating of a controller takes into account the max current on both the input and output.

Cheers
Pat.
Yes I see this and commented on it above.
Most of the buck boost tech im familiar with is not so instantaneous and has tradeoffs. I would have expected a lag in performance till at least the boosting system got up to a higher output. So theres no tradeoff to taking 200amps and boosting it to 400amps here vs having say 300amps input to use to output the 400amps?

The other way to see it I would guess is the 300amp controller would have just limited the power going to the motor to 300amps and he would have gotten a longer run time and climbed that hill just a tad slower with maybe less risk in melting the motor
augiedoggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2023, 06:42 PM   #42
passthru
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have two carts with the Nissan leaf pacs. They have worked really well. The CC pack is currently only giving me about 5 miles. But it's my fault as the cart was broken down for another reason long term and the charger went out at some point. Battery was down to 13 volts when I discovered it. New charger and it charges up but drops a couple volts quick.
Other than that I've been happy with the conversion. Even if I have to replace that carts pack I would not go back to FLA.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk
passthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 07:11 PM   #43
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by passthru View Post
I have two carts with the Nissan leaf pacs.

Battery was down to 13 volts when I discovered it. New charger and it charges up but drops a couple volts quick.

STOP USING THAT PACK IMMEDIATELY!

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...t=Lithium+fire

That fire occurred whilst trying to recharge an over discharged NMC lithium battery just like yours. Read through all the comments. Your battery is no longer safe to use, especially since it looses charge so quickly. This is not a scare tactic, your battery is genuinely unsafe to use. Your battery is NMC, once over discharged, it is done for. It has developed internal short circuits that will overheat the cells and cause thermal runaway, resulting in fire. It’s not a matter of if, but when. I cannot be any more clear.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:42 PM   #44
DaveTM
Gone Wild

What Pat911 said…STOP USING THAT PACK!! You’re endangering yourself, your property, and possibly others.

Not worth it.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 10:49 PM   #45
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If that battery got that low you should properly dispose of it! It probably shows some swelling if you look closely at it. If it was at 13 volts, that is way below 1V per cell and probably some cells were at zero. They are JUNK and they are a fire risk if you continue to try to charge them.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 07:18 AM   #46
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

There is a thread here (with pictures) about a member that let his leaf cells discharge too much and then charged them and tried to use them ... long story short he caught it burning and was able to get it out of his parents garage before the flames really overtook the cart.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:42 AM   #47
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is the one Pat linked to, augie
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 08:43 AM   #48
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
That is the one Pat linked to, augie
Yes

Sorry I didn't realize it was this thread
Old 01-30-2023, 10:51 AM   #49
passthru
Gone Wild

Club Car

Okay. Isn't possible it's a couple of bad "cells" and I can identify and replace them?

passthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 11:10 AM   #50
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by passthru View Post
Okay. Isn't possible it's a couple of bad "cells" and I can identify and replace them?

I'd say no. If the average voltage was\is less than 1V per cell, they are all damaged.

You may be able to get 15 charges, 20 charges, 50 charges on a damaged cell.....but at some point, thermal runaway will occur and you will be in a serious situation.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car