lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-22-2023, 07:40 PM   #1
rob_c28
Not Yet Wild

Default Soooo many to choose from

Recently got new batteries in my 2008 48v EZGO RXV and looking to hart adding some Headlights, Underglow lights, Horn, USB Charging port.

I am starting to head down the road of researching Voltage Reducers and Amazon has showed me so many options and they all look different and cant't figure out if i need the big Blue Box or just the plan old one that looks like a giant heat sink.

Reliance Reducer - ~$130
Carts Unlimited Reducer - ~$80 plus shipping
10L01 DC Reducer - ~$60 - Looks like the Carts Unlimited product
Random brands on Amazon $20-$50 - Small ones to Big Ones.

Does any one have any recommendations? I will be putting in a Kill Switch for the reducer if that matters at all.
rob_c28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-22-2023, 07:52 PM   #2
treyclash13
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Soooo many to choose from

I run a cart shop and heres how we do ours. 36/48v to 12v 30A. On amazon theyre around 25$. Then we add a 12v Fuse box after that then the accessories. If you want a kill switch you can just jump the hot from the ignition to the reducer.
treyclash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 07:59 PM   #3
rob_c28
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyclash13 View Post
I run a cart shop and heres how we do ours. 36/48v to 12v 30A. On amazon theyre around 25$. Then we add a 12v Fuse box after that then the accessories. If you want a kill switch you can just jump the hot from the ignition to the reducer.
Something Like this?

Voltage Reducer

Also a 12v Fuse Block.

Fuse Box

How do you know what fuse you need for each accessory?
Old 01-22-2023, 10:07 PM   #4
treyclash13
Not Yet Wild

Installed this one specifically on 4 carts last week.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

User manual on most stuff should tell you amp draw if its name brand. USB charger like 3 amp pull so use a 5amp fuse. OEM fit style LED light kits probably under 10Amp.
treyclash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 07:04 AM   #5
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

A lot of people on this forum including myself use this one https://www.cartsunlimited.net/12v-reducers.html or similar with excellent results. It has a blue wire the you connect to an ignition source (quite often connected to the solenoid) so it turns off when you turn the cart off. Reliable and works great!
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 07:42 AM   #6
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

I bought the cheap reducer on ebay , but then also bought the 48v relay so I could hook it up to my ignition switch and have it turn on and off with the key,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184572094943

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134208654199

I ordered one of these too to wire all my accessories too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334488309052?var=543516271881

Total cost around $40
You can also get this style which has the keyswitch sensing relay built in.
I got the 30a verison of this I picked up new open box for $11 last week and I may install it instead.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/22313088715...Cclp%3A2047675

if your going to install a car stereo, consider the big blue one that has the separate memory power for the radio. carts unlimited has these as well as others for $60-95 with shipping
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:16 PM   #7
rob_c28
Not Yet Wild

So i am really racking my brain on which Voltage Reducer to go with for my RXV.

Over the course of this build i suspect that I will only hook up the following devices.
- Headlight Kit
- Horn (not connected to the Light Harness)
- LEDGlow Undercart Kit
- USB ports
- No Radio Or Soundbar

Nothing to crazy. I am really considering picking up this Voltage Reducer on Amazon and hook it up to a 2 pole switch to control its power with 12g Wire
to the battery and then 16g wire from a fuse box to all accessories.

Voltage Reducer

Its got some good reviews and seems to be able to support my needs.

I have spoken with ScottyB about his voltage reducer and working with and RXV and it seems like the same issues with the Green Switch would be the same across all the Blue Box/Reliance Reducer.

With that said would i be ok with that Amazon Reducer. I have spend 2-3 days researching and scouring the forums for all Voltage Reducer posts and watching videos and i need to just make a decision hahaha.
Old 01-25-2023, 10:13 PM   #8
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_c28 View Post
So i am really racking my brain on which Voltage Reducer to go with for my RXV.

Over the course of this build i suspect that I will only hook up the following devices.
- Headlight Kit
- Horn (not connected to the Light Harness)
- LEDGlow Undercart Kit
- USB ports
- No Radio Or Soundbar

Nothing to crazy. I am really considering picking up this Voltage Reducer on Amazon and hook it up to a 2 pole switch to control its power with 12g Wire
to the battery and then 16g wire from a fuse box to all accessories.

Voltage Reducer

Its got some good reviews and seems to be able to support my needs.

I have spoken with ScottyB about his voltage reducer and working with and RXV and it seems like the same issues with the Green Switch would be the same across all the Blue Box/Reliance Reducer.

With that said would i be ok with that Amazon Reducer. I have spend 2-3 days researching and scouring the forums for all Voltage Reducer posts and watching videos and i need to just make a decision hahaha.
The 20a version is more than enough for your needs if you have leds headlights. Its the only thing you have on your list that will draw more than a couple amps. that said its only a $15 difference between the 20a and 30amp versions as you can find the 20a version of that same reducer on ebay for $16 shipped.
Old 06-15-2023, 04:58 PM   #9
smoothconductor@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyclash13 View Post
Installed this one specifically on 4 carts last week.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

User manual on most stuff should tell you amp draw if its name brand. USB charger like 3 amp pull so use a 5amp fuse. OEM fit style LED light kits probably under 10Amp.
Treyclash you do not have any issues jumping 36 volts straight to the B+ on the reducer from the ignition switch on your installs, like the switch burning up etc?
smoothconductor@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 05:01 PM   #10
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothconductor@yahoo.com View Post
Treyclash you do not have any issues jumping 36 volts straight to the B+ on the reducer from the ignition switch on your installs, like the switch burning up etc?
I have one of these I'm currently not using because it DOES arch pretty good when activating which means the switch will likely burn up unless you use a relay.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO