lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
bluecrew
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default negative charge on batteries?

You guys know the drill, I got a golf cart, don't know anything about it...

I know how to take care of batteries-or so I thought. Well every winter I take the batteries out and place them on a wood pallet in my basement and put each one on a trickle charger regularly. Well, this spring I put all the batteries back in and as I connect the last cable, I get sparks and the terminal and the cable quickly become "welded" together. I hate electricity! So, first thing I do is pull out the voltmeter. Turns out 4 out of 6 batteries have a negative charge on them.??? How is that possible? The voltmeter is brand new, I tried different meters, double checked my positive and negative terminals to make sure I make no mistakes. Since when can a battery become negatively charged?

I swapped the six batteries out of a columbia cart and everything worked fine, which leads me to believe it's strictly the batteries causing the issue.

Any ideas?
It's a 1982 3 wheel ezgo 82b30
bluecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
Fleck
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

Default Re: negative charge on batteries?

I have read posts about hooking battery chargers up reverse. Is it possible that the charger got hooked up backwards? Just my $.02. One of the smart guys will be along sone to give more info,,
Fleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
bluecrew
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I doubt it. Since I hate electricity so much, and the fact that it seems to LOVE me, I make real sure I watch what I'm connecting before I do it. I believe it would be possible, but I double checked everything as I did it. Besides, my charger has a little light on it that tells when the battery is connected wrong-( remember, I HATE electricity!?!)
Old 07-21-2009, 05:40 AM   #4
ohwhofarted
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

When you tested the batteries did the meter ACTUALLY show a negative charge? -6.3?
ohwhofarted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:59 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It is possible to recharge a low or dead lead acid battery in reversed polarity.
I do not know if they can change polarity within themselves comepletely. Although I have heard of one cell shorting out and reversing? You may be able to drain them of this polarity charge and recharge them? I don't know what would be required to safely do this.You need to talk with some battery experts before attempting any fix.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:49 PM   #6
bluecrew
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwhofarted View Post
When you tested the batteries did the meter ACTUALLY show a negative charge? -6.3?
Yeah, I checked it several times and showed it to the father in law-(sometimes a guy needs a witness to prove his own sanity...)
Old 07-21-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Are they Trojan batteries? Trojan has a great tech support crew on the phone
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:47 PM   #8
ohwhofarted
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrew View Post
Yeah, I checked it several times and showed it to the father in law-(sometimes a guy needs a witness to prove his own sanity...)
Were the leads correct? If you use the black lead on the positive terminal and the red lead on the negative terminal, it WILL show a negative charge.
ohwhofarted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:26 PM   #9
Old Foogie
Not Yet Wild

Ditto OHWHOFARTED! I have put the leads on my tester in backwards many times and shown a negative reading.
Old Foogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #10
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

In the OLD DAYS when auto shops could replace cells in batterys we saw lots of that reversing problem. What we did was to hook a headlight bulb to battery and completely discharge the battery and the charge it back up with proper polarity. I'm sure that this could be done with modern batterys as well.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO