lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-10-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
sak00
What was I thinking?

Mixed Breed

Default 88 Marathon Project

Hi Folks,
I just picked up what I believe to be a 88 Marathon. It has a lift up front but that's as far as they got. The lift in the rear will be easy. It has the resistor coil speed control and I believe a 36v motor.
My dream is to stretch it and make a 6 seater limo. 4 facing front and 2 facing rear. I will first find out if the thing runs. They told me it should. Who knows.
Anyway, my question is this. With the added weight and a lift with offroad tires, will the 36v motor and resistor coil have enough power? I only have a small amount $ tied up so far, what would be a good place to start. Should I go ahead and upgrade to 48v now or work with what I have now. I have to get batteries and charger anyhow. I can rig up 36v now to find out if my stuff works so that's not a problem.

If this was yours, what would you do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00188.jpg (27.9 KB, 18 views)
sak00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
Paxdad
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 Marathon Project

Convert to solid state 48 volt and never regret it. Pay attention to the conditon of the frame rails where the batteries are at. They can get very cancerous from the corrosion.
Paxdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
Fleck
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxdad View Post
Convert to solid state 48 volt and never regret it. Pay attention to the conditon of the frame rails where the batteries are at. They can get very cancerous from the corrosion.
Ya what he said. Once you convert to 48V you will love it. And then you will read about 72V and start thinking about that. Keep us posted.
Fleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
sak00
What was I thinking?

Mixed Breed

OK,
I have done some reading and I'm a little confused. Going soild state 48v, does this mean this? 400amp controller, HD solnoid, hd F/R switch, and 4 guage wiring. Can I use the orignal motor or new to get a new one? What else would I need? Thanks for all the info.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
iaefebs
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sak00 View Post
OK,
I have done some reading and I'm a little confused. Going soild state 48v, does this mean this? 400amp controller, HD solnoid, hd F/R switch, and 4 guage wiring. Can I use the orignal motor or new to get a new one? What else would I need? Thanks for all the info.
You are going from resistor to controller? Better add a pot box. Need accelerator linkage, double microswitch for reverse 1/2 speed. Battery charger. All I can think of for now.
iaefebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:21 PM   #6
sak00
What was I thinking?

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaefebs View Post
You are going from resistor to controller? Better add a pot box. Need accelerator linkage, double microswitch for reverse 1/2 speed. Battery charger. All I can think of for now.
Yes, that is what I was going to do.

I meant to say charger and batteries too. Pot box???? Speed control. What donor could I use??

Accelerator Linkage?? I'm quessing it goes between foot pedal and Pot box.

As I need a new F/R switch, won't the new one have the double microswitch?

Sorry for all the questions, but I don't have much to start with. So its hard to go out and look at it and say "Oh! that's what they mean"

Can this project be done or am I biting off more than I can chew.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO