lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
Chuck E.
Not Yet Wild

Default Possible vapor lock?

My '98 DS runs great but yesterday in the 90+ heat I ran approx 45 min. with 4 adults on board. The cart started to sputter and close to stalling I was able to use the choke to try to keep it alive and to get back home. The playing with the choke helped to keep it running. My first thought was fuel filter but when it cooled it ran fine. This morning the sputtering repeated after a long ride but ran fine when it cooled. I must purchase a new filter but it sounds more like vapor lock. Has anyone had similar problems?
The limiter has been removed and cart peaks at 14 MPH. Could I be running the engine too hard?

Many thanks!!
Chuck E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #2
Go Fast Dude
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Possible vapor lock?

I know this is an old thread, but my 1994 DS is doing the same thing as this guys cart. Anyone have any ideas???
Go Fast Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:18 AM   #3
RED 92CC GAS
Getting Wild
Club Car

On bro in laws we put new fuel lines and filters then new carb, still did it. We rebuilt fuel pump, still same. We put a new plastic fuel pump now it runs fine.
RED 92CC GAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:04 AM   #4
jvandh2o
Not Yet Wild

Angry Re: Possible vapor lock?

I'm having the same problem with my DS, and am looking for help here.The problem has gotten worse recently. Now, when I start it in neutral, the engine surges and doesn't reach a very high rpm. When driving it, it runs OK (but not great) for about 5 minutes,then misses and backfires. After about 5 minutes it runs OK again. I have taken the carb off and cleaned the bowl out and replaced the "O" ring on the choke button housing. I have also taken the fuel pump apart and the diaphragms are both intact. While following Scooter's post re. Sputtering, I did notice that one suggestion was cleaning out the brass filter on the fuel pump with brake solvent. That will be today's project as a new fuel pump is about 60 bucks. There was also mention of the coil overheating and degrading the spark which is a possibility, but doesn't seem as likely to me as a fuel delivery problem. I'd sure like to defer to someone who has more expertise in this area because it's summer and my 3 granddaughters miss riding the golf cart around the property!!
jvandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:14 PM   #5
mrlmd
Gone Wild

Vapor lock resolves itself as the engine and fuel pump and the whole system cools off with time, as the gas vapor condenses back into liquid fuel. I live in hot Florida (90-95 degrees) and never have this, but it's not impossible, if fuel lines and filters run real close to the engine. Usually the problem with vapor lock is in the fuel pump as gas vapors cannot be pumped, only liquid. The fuel pump in these carts is far from the engine so that shouldn't really be a problem. Carry with you some cool or cold liquid (water) and if this happens, wash down the fuel lines, pump, and carb to cool them off, and see if the engine will restart. Coils have also been known to fail as they heat up, may test fine on the bench, but fail as they get hot.
Can you see liquid fuel in your fuel filter and is it moving? If so, it would not be vapor lock and the problem could be in your carb or somewhere else.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:21 AM   #6
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ever find a solution? I've been going nuts trying to track down this same problem with my cart with clone swap. I've changes filters, lines, pumps, carbs, pulse locations.
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:12 PM   #7
Vince B333
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

OK, I have 06 Precedent and was experiencing same type of problems. Replaced fuel pump with another similar (clone). Was good for about 6 weeks, then on another long trip started happening again. (BTW, used to own a 2005 cart and same thing!). Order another fuel pump - this one different and a bit larger, but similar design. Now I don't know if a coincidence or (knock on wood) just lucky, but haven't had this issue again in over 6 months! If you want to try, here is the link to the pump I got:

Amazon.com: Mikuni Genuine Single Fuel Pump DF44-211-D: Automotive Amazon.com: Mikuni Genuine Single Fuel Pump DF44-211-D: Automotive

Note: Your mileage may vary.
Vince
Vince B333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car