lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
TSteaks
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Lugnut, stud, rear wheel problem (wheel came off)

I just put a 6" spindle lift on my 98 Ezgo TXT with new 12" machined alloy SS106 wheels and 23" All Trail tires. On the second day of driving it the lugnuts on one of the rear wheels worked their way off and the wheel slipped off. Luckily I was going slow and the frame just ended up resting on the wheel. I was able to get the wheel back on by borrowing a lugnut from each of the other wheels (could find the ones that came off) so I could get the cart back home to see what happened.

I noticed several things. It looks like the lugnuts on both the rear wheels do not tighten as flush as the lugnuts on the front. On the front the stud ends up close to flush with the top of the nut. On the rear I can still see threading on the lugnuts even though they seem tight. I loosened them and tried re-tightening them several times thinking maybe the wheel was not sitting all the way back on the studs, but I couldn't get the nuts to tread closer.

While doing this, I noticed the stud holes on the wheel seemed a little larger than I thought they should be. There is a decent amount of play if you wiggle the wheel on the studs before putting on the lugs. I measured the holes on the front wheels and they were close to 1/2" diameter and they fit snugly over the stud, but the holes on the rear wheels are a little larger than 1/2".

The lugnuts are the same that were on the stock wheels. Do I need to get different ones that when tightened will push the wheel in further onto the stud or is there some other problem that needs to be looked at?
TSteaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
Hoof Hearted
Gone Wild

Default Re: Lugnut, stud, rear wheel problem (wheel came off)

Mag (aluminum) wheels take mag wheel lugnuts............

They use a nut with a shank and seat against a washer. The shank fills this "extra play" area you are referring to. Don't drive it anymore until you replace the nuts!

They should have told you this when they sold you the wheels.............
Hoof Hearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
TSteaks
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lugnut, stud, rear wheel problem (wheel came off)

Thanks. I'll call the company I bought them from and see if I can get a deal on them and quick shipping.
TSteaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts