lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Balmo130
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default First Cart-Needs some TLC though

Hey Guys,

I have been looking at carts for several weeks and finally found something that fits all my needs except one thing. The post said it needs a rear end replaced (Owner described it as the axle/differential) that needed to be replace. Once the cart gets going, the brakes engage.

Here is the posting description:
1987 EZ GO MARATHON. GAS,LIFT KIT, LARGE TIRES, ALARM SYSTEM, DETACHABLE FACE CD PLAYER WITH FOUR 6X9'S, BACK SEAT, WINDSHIELD AND AN OVERSIZED TOP THAT COVERS THE BACK. NEEDS REAR END. Asking $1200.

They found the part for $200, so they would take 1k for the cart.

How hard would it be to change this part out myself? Should I consider against this since I am green when it comes to mechanical issues (i have clean out carbs, change pads and rotors though)?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Balmo130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: First Cart-Needs some TLC though

Sounds strange that the brakes would engage only when the cart gets rolling.They're a drum just like on older cars, except they're cable operated.As far as changing the rear, I've looked my 88 Marathon over, and it's not a hard job, to me at least.I have plenty of mechanical experience, but I think with a good manual and decent tools, most people could do it in less than half a day.The good manual is key here though.Without a book, all bets are off.

Assuming you can get it going, it sounds like it's worth $1200, as long as it's solid underneath.Those parts on it are worth a good deal themselves.See if you can ply them with some beer(AFTER the job), to help you change the rear.But again, and I cannot stress it enough, if you are going to buy it, you NEED the manual.There is a good amount of literature right on this site.

Take a look through here and see if any of it helps.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...iagram-id.html

Good luck!
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #3
loflyer2880
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Heliarc is right on with his take on this. Another tip is when your taking things apart is take pics all along the way. If you can then email them to yourself its helps a ton when you put things back together.
loflyer2880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:56 AM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

If the axle shackles were broken this would allow the axle to rotate as you pulled forward and apply the brakes, and when you think of the small movement on the brake levers it wouldn't take much. If you are saying that they said they found the part for $200 as opposed to they have the part I would be suspicious. You could be buying their problem with no real understanding of the implications or the costs of repair.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
Balmo130
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I appreciate all the input. I really want to pull the plug and I don't think it would be an issue to change out the rear.

But like Dave Box said, I am concerned if there are more issues with the cart. The cart is about 2 hours away and I can't take a look at it easily.

I have it on stand by if I want to get it.

Thanks again guys!
Balmo130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO