lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2008, 11:43 AM   #21
Nate
Gone Wild

Default Re: Electric Trucks

The reason I asked for the perspective of others on range is the way a lot of EVs are advertised. They give the top speed and they give the range and people assume that range is attainable at the given top speed. I see you know the difference SP, my 30 mile range might be a bit conservative but I like to keep it real. For example and you can't go 45 MPH on the freeway or you will get run over.
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2008, 11:51 AM   #22
SP-Electronics
Gone Wild

Maybe one day, with new battery technology we'll be able to attain affordable long range high speed EV's. I hope I'm alive to see the "affordable" side of things. Those Tesla's are awesome, but out of my budget range. In the meantime I'll suffer with shorter range but higher speeds. lol

I like to go FAST!

Speaking of which, how fast is that '79 club car of yours? I bet that thing is a blast!
SP-Electronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:39 PM   #23
Nate
Gone Wild

The lithium technologies do have more energy and much less weight, I can't argue with these facts. I don't like the Tesla for using over 6000 phone batteries but I do respect them for proving long range concept. I don't like the cost of lithium especially since it is sensitive to state of charge and temperature. I just can't justify the cost of lithium even at $5.00 a gallon from my perspective.
Solar is not cost effective anywhere grid power is available either but I keep my eyes open and keep hoping someone will prove me wrong.

I have hit 55 MPH so far; more speed in the near future but I have not hit that yet.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #24
SP-Electronics
Gone Wild

Any further thought or decision on a truck Nate? Keep us posted once you get around to starting the project.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:35 PM   #25
Monster Cart
Getting Wild

Yamaha

This disccusion Brings back Memories...

When I was in High school in the early 90s we built and competed with 5 different EVS. All of which were own by students. We had the following:

1986 Chevy S-10 (which was mine)
1978 Ford Courier Truck
1987 Suzuki Samari
1970s Porche 914
1970s Datsun Truck

All of them for our compitions (which ranged from drive and rides, to PIR, to Firebirds road course) were limited to 96 volts, Which we basically ran 16 6 volts, However since they were street legal we ran either 108 or 120 volts when not competing. (the truck always did the best due to the fact that they could pack the weight better)

As for the S-10 I had it could do an easy 40 miles on range and that included about 10 miles of freeway at 55 MPH, It would however go faster (topped out around 80) than that but the range would fall far shorter. the best I ever got range which was in competion was 90 miles, but that was never going more than 25 MPH. (96 V)

I wish I had kept it and have often thought of building another to play with.

I will be curious to see how yours turns out,

Brian
Monster Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:11 PM   #26
SP-Electronics
Gone Wild

Hmm, a samurai might be kind of a fun electric project, but I imagine it's a really tight fit to get enough batteries in there to make it really useful. I guess with no extra room for anything or anyone but the driver and passenger it might not be too bad. Could eliminate the passenger too, and save yourself from having people ask for rides. :)

I would like to build a small electric vehicle for my wife to drive to work (5 miles or so away), just to eliminate gas usage. I wish it wasn't so costly to do, and I hadn't already gotten rid of all my relatively lightweight vehicles (fiero, and older bmw 318i).
Old 09-21-2008, 11:12 AM   #27
Nate
Gone Wild

I see the Suzuki Samaria as a good NEV or ranch vehicle if kept to eight or ten batteries. This keeps the cost down because you can use golf cart components. You have a lot of gears to choose from and 4-wheel drive! What do you think of my set up Monster Cart, does this sound realistic or can you do a whole lot more with this type of vehicle?
Old 09-21-2008, 11:21 AM   #28
Nate
Gone Wild

I have done some research on the Chevy S-10, it is kind of a bitter/sweet choice. I didn't realize the Chevy S-10 was a half-ton truck, this is good for handling the battery pack and not being over loaded. The down side is this truck weighs about 3500 lbs or more so why not go to a short bed full size Chevy 1/2 ton? The transmissions are tougher in the full size as are some other components. I personally don't want the truck to get too big, I wanted a small run-around. I have a 1-ton truck so towing and heavy hauling would be done with this. Are you folks thinking the same thing I am as for use? Commuting and grocery getting is what I am looking for.

Keep posting what you all know about various types of vehicles.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #29
SP-Electronics
Gone Wild

Yeah, our use, if I built one, would be grocery getter, wife could drive to work and back (5 or so miles each way 5 days a week), and running kids to and from school and church events (7 miles away). Just to save fuel on those FREQUENT short runs we make.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #30
Nate
Gone Wild

SP, what is the highest speed limit your wife has on her trip to work?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!