lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
Mark27
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Low speed problem

88 Gasser, 6 inch lift. This cart runs great and has plenty of speed, but if I try to drive at a slow speed, I feel like a teenager learning to drive a stickshift. If I partially depress the gas petal, it start slowly, then it's a jerky off and on trying to hold the slow speed. It feels just like I'm off and on the gas petal, but I'm not. I hold the petal in one spot, but the engine is "off and on". It's a very jerky ride until you stand on it. Any thoughts, other than jamming it to the floor and hanging on? Thanks.
Mark27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Low speed problem

Mine sort of does the same thing. I haven't really noticed it as a big problem until you articulated it here...

THANKS ALOT.

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Seriously though, mine really doesn't do what you describe unless I'm trying to go really slow, like, slower-than-walking slow.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
Mark27
Getting Wild

Club Car

I get it pretty much at all speeds except wide open. It's not so bad when you're driving and have a steering wheel to hang onto, but in the passenger seat, it's pretty annoying.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Does it feel like the belt is grabby or that the engine is crapping out? Try running it in maintenance mode to see if you can duplicate the issue.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
Mark27
Getting Wild

Club Car

It feels like the engine is off and on. Just like stepping on the gas, letting off, stepping on the gas, letting off. It seems like I should be able to press the peddle a little and just go slow and smooth. I'll try it in maintenance mode and see what happens.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
Mark27
Getting Wild

Club Car

In maintenance mode, as soon as you give it enough peddle to start, the clutches move fully open (?) like it's at full throttle. I don't get the off / on action like when it's in gear.
In neutral, it has one speed - full throttle. When it's driven, it almost feels like it has a throttle sensor that keeps cutting the engine to hold a slower speed - race the engine, then coast, race then coast. I don't think I'm hitting the rev limiter, cause it isn't revving that hard. All my governor / limiter stuff is stock as far as I know. If I'm light enough on the peddle, it will stop / start like that every second, so it really isn't over revving.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Remove the air cleaner and make sure that the butterfly plate inside the carburetor is still there and operating correctly. If it's missing or stuck open, that would definitely cause your all-time-WOT condition.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
Mark27
Getting Wild

Club Car

I'll do that. Right after I built this cart, I replaced the throttle cable, because I damaged the old one during the lift. I just sort of "centered" the adjusting nuts. Is there any guide to adjusting the throttle cable? Thanks.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #10
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I don't know of any guide for adjusting the cable. I do know that I'm happy with my throttle cable setup, so if you want me to snap a picture of my nuts (lol) I'll post it here.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car