lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2016, 01:19 PM   #1
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2001 ezgo txt rehab

Hey Guys,

I was hoping to get a little input on my overall plan.

Ive got a 2001 series ezgo txt freedom that Im pretty sure is all original, as far as mechanical components. The cart used to be pretty nice but hasn't had the love its deserved, and is in need of a makeover.

My original plan was to get some new tires/rims and a new custom painted body. Id like a bit more speed as well, but that can wait. Ive been reading this forum like crazy and figuring out that there's a bunch of other things I would like, or should, do. The budget is not unlimited and, Im handy, but experience with carts is very limited. Ive learned a ton here already, and will continue to read as much as I can.

Here's my, somewhat in order, overall plan. Im sure I'll have other questions when I get into each step, but I was looking for any advice, ideas or things to watch out for that you guys may have experienced.

1. Replace old body with new custom painted one, and clean, remove rust,
and paint all frame, battery box, etc.
2. Currently searching for new tires and rims and will order soon. Hate to
spend the money on pure cosmetics but the old tires are 10" and they're
completely toast. I'm going to 12's and don't want to waste money on new 10" tires.
3. Replace current forward / reverse switch with one from Scotty B. Ive had problems with the current one heating up in the past.
4. Replace all cables with 2 gauge set. I don't plan on needing that big but read here that the $ was not worth just getting the 4 gauge.
5. DC to DC converter from Scotty. To be honest, Im not even sure how the accessory 12v stuff is currently wired. Im pretty sure its factory and there is a small fuse panel under the driver's side but Ive had problems with the lights
blowing fuses. Ive got a stereo hooked up as well and Id rather just redo it all and know that it is correct.
6. New dash with some toggle type swiches for the accessories and a digital voltmeter.

The remainder of the stuff is cosmetic, like seat covers, new windshield, etc but I wont bore you guys with that stuff now.

Again, any input you guys have is greatly appreciated. It seems like I would be better off doing everything operational while I have the body off but Im a bit limited in time and money.

Thanks in advance,
Justin

Last edited by orangeman6; 09-12-2016 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: somehow submitted original while still typing
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2016, 02:38 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2001 ezgo txt rehab

Hi Justin. I have a 2006 TxT Series cart, so for all practical purposes everything is the same.
Here are a few things you need to keep in mind. well for starters, you didn't mention of how you plan on using your cart, street/neighborhood cruiser, a little off road, hilly terrain?
The new wheels and tires you mentioned....what size TIRES are you talking about? it makes a difference as to your drive system.
and last but not least.....you mentioned getting a little more speed out of it......well you have a SERIES cart.....and unless you plan on upgrading the whole drive system (new higher amp controller and solenoid), above and beyond the new cables and F&R Switch.....you aren't going to make it faster, its the nature of the beast with Series drives.....UNLESS you upgrade everything, plus either a new motor, OR a gear change, OR upgrading from 36 to 48 volts....or a combination of these.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:01 PM   #3
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

it will be fastest to do your wiring with the body off...you have a good overall plan-good luck and post pics as you go!
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:29 PM   #4
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sir Nuke, thanks for the reply, and sorry about forgetting the details.

I'm going with 12". 215/40/12 gives me a total height of just under 19", from what I've read. It'll be a primarily street / golf course cart. The terrain is mostly flat with some rolling hills. It occasionally gets on some dirt roads getting to the river, etc. but nothing I'm going to try and accommodate.

The current motor / controller, which I believe to be stock, gives me around 19 mph when the batteries are fresh. 25 would be about all I would be after and, to be honest, its not super important to get any faster than I currently am. At least not right now, anyway. I was initially thinking that if I ever did do anything to controller or motor I would bump it up to 42 or 48. However, I spoke to the guy at pq and he says they have a new motor that would work with my current setup and give me 25-27. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this but I was sure to confirm that he was talking those numbers with just my current set up.

Thanks again,
Justin
Old 09-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

seeing as your are keeping your tires at or below 20", your current drive system will work just fine. But the fact that you are actually getting 19 mph is absolutely amazing....considering STOCK is 14 mph.......are you guessing at the speed or are you using some sort of GPS to clock your speed?
Old 09-12-2016, 08:30 PM   #6
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I haven't checked it in quite a while and have never done it with gps. I've done it a few times with a buddy driving car next to me and it's consistent with what I get on the radar boards we have often in the neighborhood.
Maybe I need to confirm that its stock? I'll have to check again to confirm details, but when I put the serial number into ezgo website it had the speed range for this model on the page. I remember being mildly surprised because thought I used to be 20-21. Did the freedom have an upgraded motor?
Old 09-13-2016, 05:59 AM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post
. Did the freedom have an upgraded motor?
no.....are you sure its a SERIES CART?

is the F&R switch on the dash or a lever by your knee on the front of the seat pedestal?
Old 09-13-2016, 08:53 AM   #8
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yeah, pretty sure. Ive come across Scotty B's chart a bunch of times in my readings and it completely fits with the series pics. I'll tell you though, Ive read so much on carts these last couple of weeks I'm starting to have a hard time keeping my pea brain wrapped around it all.

I took a couple of pics that I'll figure out how to attach here.

I'm pretty confident about the speed as well. In an earlier post I had said that I found the specs by entering in the serial number, but I was wrong. I couldn't remember where exactly, so I went to find it again. It wasn't on the ezgo website, it was on some random site that came up when I googled specs for 2001 ezgo txt freedom. I know nothing about that site, or how accurate it is, however, Im very sure that the cart goes at least 19 when batteries are fresh. Also, from the google machine, I came across an ezgo brochure for the freedom and it advertised speed up to 19 something. For what it's worth, I do know it wasn't a fleet cart. The freedom model came with factory lights and was marketed as a neighborhood cruiser in the brochure i found.

We're in a golf cart community and 10+ years ago, before there was a lot of customization out here, it was one of the faster carts in the neighborhood. And, again, Ive compared it to a car along side, on flat ground, as well as radar boards. There's no way it had a factory upgraded motor?

Ahh, not inspiring a lot of confidence in myself on this project when Im not even sure what Ive got.

Ill have the body off in a bit and maybe there will be something on the motor that will ID it?

Thanks again for your responses, I really appreciate it.

Side view.jpg

fr switch.jpg

fr lever.jpg

controller fr switch.jpg
Old 09-13-2016, 09:12 AM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

well seeing the pictures, you do in-fact have a SERIES cart, no doubt. I think you must have gotten a cart built on "Wednesday", when the factory workers were happy and not PO'ed at the boss, or looking forward to the weekend or a combination of all 3.... LOL and it was given a little extra juice by the cart gods. :{D OR there happens to be a aftermarket high-speed motor in there. either way.....you have the start to a great cart.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:17 AM   #10
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Definitely a series cart. Is there a small plate in the drivers side cubby? Some carts had one identifying the motor in KW. The speed control appears to be a curtis 400 amp.
Also is the steering column bolted to the floor with 3 bolts or 4?
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO