lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2018, 06:13 PM   #11
MarathonMonkey
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Loose steering, leaking bellows ezgo marathon

I'm gonna owe you a beer, but I got an unrelated question lol. You seem profoundly knowledgeable so lemme ask you this: my cart rides rough, meaning it vibrates/shudders at higher speeds. Not all the time. I checked the tie rod ends/hubs and all seem snug enough. Toe is even. I did put an econo lift on it and 22" tires. I do know the front shocks are completely shot, could that cause the shuddering? Anything else I can check?

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
MarathonMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2018, 07:20 PM   #12
Goliath
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

So many things can cause shaking.
If it's at higher speeds, it can be a combination of things.
Larger wheels like that can cause issues at higher speeds if not balanced correctly. You can try a crude test by lifting the front end of the cart, and gently spinning each tire. Hopefully the bearings are good, with not too much resistance. If the wheel slows down, but then rotates back to one position down, that part of the wheel may be heavier (out of balance). This only works on the front wheels, as the rears have gears/brakes etc causing resistance, so you'd have to put the rear tires on the front to check them. And, it's only a crude test.
You could take the wheels to a motorcycle/ATV shop to have them balanced, to eliminate them as a factor.

BTW, the toe shouldn't be even. It needs to be slightly (~1/8") in.

Was the shaking there before the lift?
Was it there before the larger tires?
Do you have another set of wheels you can swap with to see how much they are a factor?
Does it go away on braking?

Before anything, you need to fix the steering box, then see how much play is in the rest of the system, as I'd be willing to bet that's not the only worn part.
Goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:55 PM   #13
MarathonMonkey
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, That's a lot of good information. The shaking came after the lift/tires. I suppose I'll check the balance first, after I work on that steering.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:43 PM   #14
MarathonMonkey
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
There's a link in my post that goes to a website showing the gearbox for sale. Does that take you to something other than the gearbox. Here is a picture of what you most likely need.
You will probably have to buy the WHOLE gearbox, and swap your old parts over. There's MANY websites that sell these; I just posted a link to the first one I saw.

>>> BUT, you need to first inspect and verify to make sure it is the gearbox shafts that are loose, and nothing else. <<<
Hey Goliath, I took the gearbox apart and the shafts are tight. The reduction gear doesn't look worn visually, but when it's in place and I turn it with my fingers there is a little play. What do you think? Rack? What if I just replaced the torn boot... Steering is good until I turn sharp and the grease plops out of the holes in the boot. Half-*** fix, I know lol...

Old 06-07-2018, 01:59 PM   #15
Goliath
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

The boot does nothing but keep dirt off the rack.
The only reason grease is coming out is you probably overfilled the steering box, and the shaft bushing is probably slightly worn.

Leave the cover off the housing, and insert the steering wheel with gear back onto the shaft. Turn the wheel slightly from side to side and see where the play is.

They make a rebuild kit for it, which comes with rack, boot/clamp, and outer tie rod end. You may also need a reduction gear. I found play at the steering shaft (rod that goes from steering wheel down).

You really need to do a wiggle test to see where the play is. It's not usually just one part, but a combination of wear on several parts.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:38 PM   #16
MarathonMonkey
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
The boot does nothing but keep dirt off the rack.
The only reason grease is coming out is you probably overfilled the steering box, and the shaft bushing is probably slightly worn.

Leave the cover off the housing, and insert the steering wheel with gear back onto the shaft. Turn the wheel slightly from side to side and see where the play is.

They make a rebuild kit for it, which comes with rack, boot/clamp, and outer tie rod end. You may also need a reduction gear. I found play at the steering shaft (rod that goes from steering wheel down).

You really need to do a wiggle test to see where the play is. It's not usually just one part, but a combination of wear on several parts.
Good insight. I have seen the rebuild kits. I initially ordered the part that is in between the boot and the idler arm with the grease fitting and Castle nut(what is it called?) But sent it back when I realized the play was coming before that. How can I see what's going on when I reinsert the steering column into place? The housing blocks my view, right? What about the play I felt when I turned the reduction gear? I'm curious about you mentioning play in the steering shaft, where does that occur? I assumed there were no moving parts in the steering column, just a straight shot to the gear at the base. I really want to get that play out! Lol

Old 06-07-2018, 04:33 PM   #17
Goliath
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

You have to remove the steering wheel, then pull the shaft out, then reattach the steering wheel.

In between the gear at the base of the steering shaft, and the shaft itself, there's a type of universal joint. That joint had about 1/8" of play on mine.

You need to remove the shaft to be able to see inside the housing while turning the steering wheel. You can loosely fit the steering wheel back on the bare shaft for diagnostic purposes.

It's still possible the pins inside the steering housing are loose, but just too tight to wiggle with your finger. By pulling the steering shaft out, and looking inside the case while you turn the wheel, you'll see exactly what's happening.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:18 AM   #18
MarathonMonkey
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
You have to remove the steering wheel, then pull the shaft out, then reattach the steering wheel.

In between the gear at the base of the steering shaft, and the shaft itself, there's a type of universal joint. That joint had about 1/8" of play on mine.

You need to remove the shaft to be able to see inside the housing while turning the steering wheel. You can loosely fit the steering wheel back on the bare shaft for diagnostic purposes.

It's still possible the pins inside the steering housing are loose, but just too tight to wiggle with your finger. By pulling the steering shaft out, and looking inside the case while you turn the wheel, you'll see exactly what's happening.
That's a great explanation of my next diagnostic step. I'll check it out. I sure appreciate it!

Old 06-08-2018, 08:20 AM   #19
MarathonMonkey
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarathonMonkey View Post
That's a great explanation of my next diagnostic step. I'll check it out. I sure appreciate it!

Where you able to get a new universal joint somewhere... If that turns out to be my problem too?

Old 06-08-2018, 11:09 AM   #20
Goliath
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

The lower gear, universal joint, and shaft are all one piece.
It's about $100.

I was going to try to remove the pins in the universal joint, and replace the wavy washers that take out the free play, but my gear was also worn.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO