lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2018, 08:36 PM   #61
dfischbach
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2011 EZGO RXV Brake Lights stuck on and cart won't move

Northeast Ohio. I called my local shop and they can’t get me in for at least three weeks. Trying to get back up and running sooner than that. The brake switch and sensor seems like cheap fixes to try. I realize I’m shooting in the dark here
dfischbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2018, 08:38 PM   #62
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Would they let you borrow, or rent their diagnostic handheld?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jkredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:40 PM   #63
dfischbach
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Doesn’t sound like it
Old 08-18-2018, 08:42 PM   #64
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkredman View Post
Not necessarily the brake system. The lights on are a function of the controller shutting the cart down.

Where are you located? Maybe some one on the forum has a handheld they can use to look at the error codes.

He's wanting to buy a brake switch just to eliminate that part. No body is saying anything for sure what he needs.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:56 PM   #65
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yeah I understand that - I just wish there was somebody close to him that had a handheld.

We can throw all sorts of parts at these things, waste money (Annoy our significant other), and frustrate ourselves....

Here’s an idea...

This is a link to the service manual:

https://support.countrycat.com/posts...service-manual

In it will be a section on testing with a digital multimeter. You can possibly test the switches, and motor brake before spending money blindly.

I understand the desire, and the frustration of having to wait 3 weeks. I also understand the need to try something. I just hate to see people spend money when they may not have to.

(Probably some emotional issue on my part from my family of origin.........)

Old 08-18-2018, 09:15 PM   #66
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

The brake and throttle both use the same rotary encoder... If you have a Digital MultiMeter, you can connect the negative meter lead to pack negative and meter positive to the encoder output. With the key on and in neutral, use a small sewing needle and slide it into the encoder harness connector, right alongside the wire that is not orange or black. It will slip past the rubber moisture seal and make contact with the connector. Touch that needle with the positive meter probe, and actuate the pedal for that encoder... You should see a varying voltage between near 0V to near 5V, as you move the pedal up and down. The default voltage range that an RXV controller is programmed to accept is no less than 0.3VDC, and no more than 4.7 VDC. If you see that, the encoder is working properly. Test both encoders this way.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:26 PM   #67
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2011 EZGO RXV Brake Lights stuck on and cart won't move

Bob, thanks for chiming in.

As for testing the switches the should be less than an ohm resistance when closed. I had a brake switch that was dirty & worn. When closed, it measure 7 ohms. That was enough for my controller to complain about.

When testing the switches, know that there are 2 pairs of wires. 1 pair is normally closed, and 1 pair is normally open.

1 pair is used by the throttle, the other pair is used by the brake.

The switches, and encoders, are basically the same on both the brake & throttle.

Don’t remember off the top of my head which is which. I just know that you need to look at the harness wiring that connects to the switch, and test across those switch pins.

Follow Bob’s instructions for testing the encoders.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:31 PM   #68
dfischbach
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I have to be honest, the testing process seems way over my head. I think I am either going to try and replace the sensor and/or switch or just wait till I can get a hand held on it.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:19 PM   #69
dfischbach
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thought I would give a final update on this one. The shop I took the cart to finally got it back up and running today after a lot of trial and error of replacing parts. The final outcome was a new curtis controller, brake and accelerator assemblies replaced and engine encoder replaced. Not sure if anything else was done but it is now finally back up and running. As others have said, very costly lesson for me on how easily it is to mess up the electronics on an RXV! Thanks again for everyone's input and advice.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO