lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
Twilly24
Not Yet Wild

Default 1989 ezgo. What motor should I upgrade too

I just got done upgrading my 1989 ezgo with one of scotty's upgrading kits. Altrax 500 amp controller and 400 amp solenoid. I plan on putting 4 inch lift and 20 inch tires next week. Then it's time to upgrade the motor. Should I go with a brand new motor or maybe calling plum quick up and seeing what they have to offer. I would like to increase the top speed a little bit. But I'm not willing to give up all the torque. I know you cant have it both ways. But to the guys that have experience with this cart what motor do you recommend? Thanks
Twilly24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2018, 08:26 AM   #2
noxin
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 ezgo. What motor should I upgrade too

Have you upgraded voltage to 48v? I'm in your boat (with a 2000 series TXT), and it was suggested I do that before looking at motors.
noxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:36 AM   #3
Sideways
Gone Wild

I went from 36v to 48v on my 94 Medalist and recommend doing so as well before upgrading the motor.
While I primarily use my cart to golf with I am very happy with keeping the stock motor.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:22 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilly24 View Post
1. I just got done upgrading my 1989 ezgo with one of scotty's upgrading kits. Altrax 500 amp controller and 400 amp solenoid.
2. I plan on putting 4 inch lift and 20 inch tires next week.
3. Then it's time to upgrade the motor.
4. Should I go with a brand new motor or maybe calling plum quick up and seeing what they have to offer.
5. I would like to increase the top speed a little bit. But I'm not willing to give up all the torque. I know you cant have it both ways.
6. But to the guys that have experience with this cart what motor do you recommend? Thanks
1. Both the controller and solenoid will operate at 36 to 48V.
2. A lift probably won't be needed for 20" tall tires, which will reduce torque by 10% and increase speed up to 11%, unless they are the low pressure type tires, then the speed may be slower than stock.
3. The stock motor may be sufficient if the battery pack is upgraded to 48V.
4. I prefer new motors to rewound motors.
5. You can have it both ways by going to a higher pack voltage. And you can have it both ways by getting a motor in a longer case that has both increased speed and torque.
6. The motor has to match the cart and what you want to do with cart.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:28 PM   #5
Twilly24
Not Yet Wild

I have already upgraded to the 48 volts. I would like to get a little more speed without alot of torque loss. Just wondering what others have done. Thanks for all the responses.
Twilly24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO