lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
sunking
Gone Wild

Default DCS or Series Medalist

I was looking at an Auction Site today and they have a Cart for Sale, a 1996 Medalist Freedom. I took a picture of the SN = 941190 and Manu Code E0896, looked it up on EXGO site and it tells me it is a 96 Medalist DCS 36 volt cart.

OK what is confusing me is the F-N-R is a Lever and I thought DCS just used a Rocker Switch and Series used the Lever type F-N-R switch. Can someone clarify what I am looking at please.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2018, 01:06 PM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: DCS or Series Medalist

DCS uses a lever by your knee for directional switching although switching is electronic (controller). If you look under the seat it is a rotary disc affair and does NOT have the linkage to a passenger side switch like the series carts. DCS is a sepex system but does not have a speed sensor on the motor like PDS.
The original DCS controller is flawed as it doesn't have a low voltage cutoff protection. DCS only made in 95-99 I believe. 2000 was first year for PDS.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:29 PM   #3
sunking
Gone Wild

THX that is what I needed to know. Will pass the word along to find a different cart.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:55 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Nothing wrong with a DCS cart with the Alltrax controller installed. Makes more speed than series and more torque than PDS.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:03 PM   #5
sunking
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Nothing wrong with a DCS cart with the Alltrax controller installed. Makes more speed than series and more torque than PDS.
Cart is not for myself and needs some work. So allow me to flip the question around a different way. What would be the wholesale price of a 1996 EZGO Medalist DCS needing new batteries, wiring, and controller. It is at an Auction not specifically tied to Golf Carts, more heavy machinery (dozers, tractors, side by side, etc..)

Me thinking $500 tops.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:54 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

$500 sounds good. But there could be a ton of variables for a cart that went to auction not running.
I've bought non-running carts that just needed batteries and non running carts that needed everything ! I think you have to be there, inspect the cart, and know what you are looking at to get a fair deal.
Good Luck
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:26 PM   #7
sunking
Gone Wild

OK 1 follow up question. It is a 36 volt cart so battery replacement is required. Is there anything that would prevent replacing the the 6 x 6 volt batteries with 6 x 8 volt batteries making it a 48 volt system? Can the factorry motor and controller handle it?
Old 08-24-2018, 08:07 AM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunking View Post
OK 1 follow up question. It is a 36 volt cart so battery replacement is required. Is there anything that would prevent replacing the the 6 x 6 volt batteries with 6 x 8 volt batteries making it a 48 volt system? Can the factorry motor and controller handle it?
NO....actually the motor could but the controller will not.

you would need to replace the controller/solenoid with a new Alltrax controller/solenoid combo
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:04 AM   #9
sunking
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
NO....actually the motor could but the controller will not.
THX I remembered that right after I posted. I thought the Solenoid would be a problem, and Controller could be a problem.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO